ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (8/16) > >>

4wd:
Unfortunately that doesn't work. I don't know why but it doesn't and never has. I have "run as administrator" ticked, I have XP compatibility ticked, it would still bring up UAC, which is why I was looking into alternative ways of disabling UAC just for those apps.-dr_andus (November 09, 2012, 08:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Application Compatibility Toolkit might help, there's a tutorial here, (a more recent article is available here), on disabling the UAC for specific programs - it's for Vista but it should work under 7.  The ACT adds a lot more fixes you can apply selectively to try and get a program working, it also has a database of known programs and fixes, (IIRC).

dr_andus:

The Application Compatibility Toolkit might help, there's a tutorial here on disabling the UAC for specific programs - it's for Vista but it should work under 7.  The ACT adds a lot more fixes you can apply selectively to try and get a program working, it also has a database of known programs and fixes, (IIRC).
-4wd (November 10, 2012, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for this.

Darwin:
Two points to make here, the second tangential:

1. I've been using Windows 8 Pro since July and have had no problems with it whatsoever. The only software that I had an issue with was Alcohol 120%, but they have a fix coming and in the interim upgrading to SPTD 1.83 and re-installing Alcohol has it running flawlessly. Don't know what people are in such a lather about. I don't miss the old Start menu at all, just hit the Win key and start typing and my programs show up in a list.  My main issue is access to the power commands but I've gotten used to hitting Win-C and selecting Settings. Cumbersome? Yes. The end of the world? No. I don't even think about it anymore. Everything else works fine. Having said all that, I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade to Win 8, so if you're on Vista or 7 and are happy, stay there. I wouldn't stay away from a new machine with Win 8 preinstalled, though, and I wouldn't "downgrade" such a machine, either.
2. Really peripheral to this discussion, but I feel compelled to note that my experience with Vista was great! Biggest problem I've encountered wit Vista and Windows 7 has been Windows Media Player Network Service...

40hz:
Don't know what people are in such a lather about.
-Darwin (November 12, 2012, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

The issue is that it brings nothing new to the table. It's 99.9% change merely for the sake of change. That, and to start the process of slowly moving Microsoft's customer base over to a company app store/closed ecosystem like Apple has.

If that doesn't put you in a lather, you're exactly the sort of customer Microsoft is looking for - and no harm done. For the rest of us, it's a seriously BFD - and we want no part of it as it currently stands.
 ;D

tomos:
Well, I'm giving 8 a go - I'm just after ordering a laptop w. Windows 8.
I'm hoping it will boot faster and work better with less hardware at it's disposal (than Windows 7).
But I also got it because the latest version of the laptop with better specs only had windows 8.

Also hoping it wont be too much of a pain in the ass :P

I'll see how I get on - if it's a disaster, I'll downgrade. If I just dont like it, I'll get another copy of Windows 7, in case.
I guess that qualifies as my Win7 strategy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version