ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (7/16) > >>

dr_andus:
Have you turned off UAC just to see if they work?
-wraith808 (November 09, 2012, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I haven't. I thought that would create some vulnerabilities... I did look into some workarounds to get rid of them per specific software but I haven't got around to trying them yet.

Carol Haynes:
If you don't want to turn off UAC right click on the shortcut to start the app and run as administrator or go to the properties compatibility tab and tick 'run as administrator' - that will effectively ignore UAC for that app.

Actually I think you probably have more vulnerabilities running Acrobat 6 which is ancient!

dr_andus:
If you don't want to turn off UAC right click on the shortcut to start the app and run as administrator or go to the properties compatibility tab and tick 'run as administrator' - that will effectively ignore UAC for that app.
-Carol Haynes (November 09, 2012, 05:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately that doesn't work. I don't know why but it doesn't and never has. I have "run as administrator" ticked, I have XP compatibility ticked, it would still bring up UAC, which is why I was looking into alternative ways of disabling UAC just for those apps.

wraith808:
Have you turned off UAC just to see if they work?
-wraith808 (November 09, 2012, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I haven't. I thought that would create some vulnerabilities... I did look into some workarounds to get rid of them per specific software but I haven't got around to trying them yet.
-dr_andus (November 09, 2012, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I didn't mean permanently- I meant to see if UAC was the problem.  That could be just a red herring.

Carol Haynes:
-Carol Haynes (November 09, 2012, 05:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately that doesn't work. I don't know why but it doesn't and never has. I have "run as administrator" ticked, I have XP compatibility ticked, it would still bring up UAC, which is why I was looking into alternative ways of disabling UAC just for those apps.
-dr_andus (November 09, 2012, 08:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm it must be running other processes that aren't picking up the administrator state. Temporarily disable UAC altogether to see if works at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version