ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (6/16) > >>

wraith808:
What software? Maybe someone here is familiar with it and can say if it works on Windows 8. I have so far only tried Windows 8 in virtualization but everything I've tried to installed has worked fine.
-Nod5 (November 09, 2012, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, my main concern would be Outline 4D (formerly known as StoryView 2.0, which I also have), but other oldies include Maxthink, BrainStorm, and Natara Bonsai. When I switched from XP to Win7 for example it was an unpleasant surprise that some software forced me to upgrade by simply not being compatible at all (such as EndNote), or by starting to crash (Adobe Acrobat Professional 6, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 etc.). The latter I don't want to upgrade because I don't think they're worth the money, but I was annoyed that I was forced to look for alternatives.

-dr_andus (November 09, 2012, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you try compatibility mode?  That fixed most (if not all) of my compatibility issues.  Just right click, select properties, and select the compatibility tab, and set the compatibility mode option to Windows XP SP3.  Unless you're running off a network drive or optical drive, it should allow you to select that option.

dr_andus:
Did you try compatibility mode?  That fixed most (if not all) of my compatibility issues.  Just right click, select properties, and select the compatibility tab, and set the compatibility mode option to Windows XP SP3.  Unless you're running off a network drive or optical drive, it should allow you to select that option.
-wraith808 (November 09, 2012, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I did, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in my case for some reason.

wraith808:
-wraith808 (November 09, 2012, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I did, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in my case for some reason.
-dr_andus (November 09, 2012, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... I know its off-topic, but what kind of errors were you receiving after you did this?

dr_andus:
Hmmm... I know its off-topic, but what kind of errors were you receiving after you did this?
-wraith808 (November 09, 2012, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, well, e.g. with Paintshop Pro 8, when I use the crop tool and crop an image, it just crashes and gives me the error message:
Paint Shop Pro 8 has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
--- End quote ---

In Adobe Acrobat 6, it would crash when I try to insert pages into a PDF, for instance. Outline 4D crashes sometimes when I make changes to the Options settings and return to the program. Also, some system wide keyboard shortcuts won't work in O4D, such as AHK, or WordExpander.

One thing that is common with these programs is that even though I have "Run this program as administrator" set, they still start with User Account Control message, asking "Do you want to allow the following program... bla-bla-bla," and the publisher is "unknown."

wraith808:
Have you turned off UAC just to see if they work?  Perhaps it's that interaction that's causing the problem.  Not sure... but this just interests me, and I don't have anything like it to test.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version