ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (3/16) > >>

dr_andus:
get a Win7 installation CD
-dr_andus (November 08, 2012, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Who made your Win7 PC?  Vendors often will provide media that will restore a system to factory install state for a nominal fee.

-mwb1100 (November 09, 2012, 12:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have yet to see a preinstalled version of Windows 7 that doesn't have a recovery partition and a mechanism to produce recovery disks.
-Carol Haynes (November 09, 2012, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's an Acer PC. I did burn two system image DVDs when I bought it. Would that include the OS and could I use it to install Win7 on other machines? I thought that wouldn't be possible.

Windows 7 won't become a rarity overnight, and Microsoft will surely fix windows 8 in SP1, just as it did with Vista.
-eleman (November 08, 2012, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not that I'm worried about Win8 first release being buggy. I just want to keep Win7 because I have some unsupported old software that already has trouble running on Win7, so I'd imagine it's unlikely those software would suddenly run better on Win8...

40hz:
My personal strategy for sticking with Win 7 is not to upgrade.

I wonder if that will work. ;)

Carol Haynes:
I have yet to see a preinstalled version of Windows 7 that doesn't have a recovery partition and a mechanism to produce recovery disks.
-Carol Haynes (November 09, 2012, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's an Acer PC. I did burn two system image DVDs when I bought it. Would that include the OS and could I use it to install Win7 on other machines? I thought that wouldn't be possible.
-dr_andus (November 09, 2012, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes it allows your AcerPC to be reinstalled exactly as it came from the factory - OS, apps and promotional crap too.

You can't install that copy of windows on any other computer - it wouldn't be legal either as that copy is an OEM edition licensed only for the machine on which it was delivered. It also wouldn't be possible as far as I know as it is a preconfigured image for a specific set of hardware. You shouldn't need the license key of the label to reinstall using this method - but if you find a Windows 7 disc (the same edition eg. Home Premium) you should be able to install a clean copy using the license key on the label. Note if you decide to go from 32-bit to 64-bit or vice versa there is no guarnatee that drivers will be available from the Acer website. If you are trying to future proof you should also archive a copy of the latest set of drivers from Acer - they have a habit of dropping support for older machines.

IIRC when windows 7 was released there were a lot of comments about the then new Windows 7 EULA which even seemed to stop you moving a non-OEM copy from one machine to another. Not sure if the EULA was later updated to allow that - but I suspect you would have problems moving it and have to contact MS every time for permission.

Windows 7 won't become a rarity overnight, and Microsoft will surely fix windows 8 in SP1, just as it did with Vista.

It's not that I'm worried about Win8 first release being buggy. I just want to keep Win7 because I have some unsupported old software that already has trouble running on Win7, so I'd imagine it's unlikely those software would suddenly run better on Win8...-eleman on Today at 00:45:18
--- End quote ---

Shouldn't run any worse on Windows 8 - it is effectively Windows 7 SP2 or 3 ish. with a veneer of not-Metro. The Desktop environment (sorry legacy desktop environment) is just Windows 7 with a few tweaks. Nothing much new there.

Carol Haynes:

-40hz (November 09, 2012, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's pretty much my strategy too - I would guess a lot of businesses might take the plunge with Windows 7 now before the possibility disappears and they are forced to adopt 8 when XP support dies.

Unfortunately I will have to support Windows 8 so I am going to have to install it (at least as a VM and probably on my laptop) just to get to know it well enough.

dr_andus:

-40hz (November 09, 2012, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, but you may want to upgrade your hardware in the future (to buy a new PC, which may or may not have Win8 pre-installed), what do you do then? So I suppose I would need to get a separate copy of a Win7 disk to install it on future machines?

They are not particularly cheap. And what will happen to the price and supply of those? Will the price go up or down in the next 6 months?

Obviously having already shelled out for the pre-installed version, I feel reluctant to have to buy another license. So is it a better strategy then to buy PCs and operating system disks separately, so you can use the disk to install Win7 on newer machines later on? I don't need to run them both simultaneously, I'm happy to uninstall/deactivate the old one, if I have to for license reasons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version