ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

<< < (4/16) > >>

dr_andus:
That's pretty much my strategy too - I would guess a lot of businesses might take the plunge with Windows 7 now before the possibility disappears and they are forced to adopt 8 when XP support dies.
-Carol Haynes (November 09, 2012, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I'm wondering about. How will that affect the price and supply of the Win7 license? Economics would suggest that dwindling supply and increasing demand might drive the price up (while Win8 upgrade is dirt cheap). So when is it best to buy your back-up Win7 disk, especially if you haven't got one (and when you're on a tight budget)?

Carol Haynes:
Yep - called the law of demand!

Having said that most corporations and other businesses don't buy Windows from the shops or normal supply chains - they get them cheap from MS under license.

MS are already supplying 'business machines' with Windows 8 Pro installed and the right to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro for free and I can't see MS removing Windows 7 from corporate licensing any time soon since they haven't got the majority of their corporate clients to move away from XP yet - moving to 8 would be a step too far for many businesses.

tslim:
Windows 7 won't become a rarity overnight, and Microsoft will surely fix windows 8 in SP1, just as it did with Vista every other version of Windows.
-eleman (November 08, 2012, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

FTFY  8)

I've not known a version of Windows to be solid the first iteration yet.  It's just with some iterations, people forget it more than others.  ;D
-wraith808 (November 08, 2012, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 w/wraith - Three has always been the 'magic' number for Microsoft if their past history is anything to go by. Either Version 3 or Service Pack 3 - whichever came last.  :-\
-40hz (November 08, 2012, 11:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

MS history does have a pattern, see below and guess what is the ???

Win 98 (ticked)
win Me (skipped)
win XP  (ticked)
win Vista (skipped)
Win 7 (ticked)
Win8 (???)
Win9 (???)

wraith808:
Actually, Vista is a matter for discussion/personal experience.  I personally had no problems with Vista.  I used it for years on my laptop without problems, and now my daughter is using that laptop and still has no problems.  The problem with Vista was perception, and MS being unable to get ahead of the PR curve.  ME was a totally different thing- it had serious problems that they never really addressed.  But Vista was different, at least IME.

Carol Haynes:
The problem with Vista was perception, and MS being unable to get ahead of the PR curve.
-wraith808 (November 09, 2012, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

The problem with Vista was the hardware manufacturers tried to get away with - it required significantly better spec hardware than Windows 7 to get it to run at a decent speed - in particular memory optimisation was an issue. I bought a laptop with Vista and 1Gb of memory - it ran like a dog until I doubled the memory - then it ran OK but ran well when I increased to 4Gb of memory. My initial impressions were so bad I reverted to XP which ran fine with 1Gb of memory but tried Vista again with 2Gb of memory. In comparison Windows 7 seemed to run pretty well with 2Gb of memory on the same machine and a lot better with 4Gb. I tried the Win 8 preview and it ran very well on the same hardware - pretty similar or slightly better than windows 7 but I couldn't live with the new interface and went back to 7.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version