ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible

(1/16) > >>

dr_andus:
What I have seen of Windows 8 so far makes me want to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible. How to future-proof my Win7 system? I think Win7 came pre-installed on my PC, so I may not even have it on a disk. What to do when my currently 2-yr old PC dies? How can I make sure that I can keep running my old software - that may not work in Win8 any more - for years to come? I also have a couple of XP machines still.

I suddenly feel an urge to collect and save all my installation files for old software in a safe place, and also to get a Win7 installation CD. I'm thinking that perhaps I should buy a Win7 laptop while they still exist, to have a back-up system available. I could see their prices drop after (or even before) Christmas, but then who knows, if Win8 turns out to be a disaster, could scarcity start driving up prices of Win7 machines fairly soon?

Any advice on how to keep an OS for a long time, well after it stops being supported?

P.S. According to The Register PC shipments are down in the UK, suggesting retailers expected a slump in demand for Win7 systems, which means there are fewer machines around than last year.

eleman:
First of all, calm down :)

Windows 7 won't become a rarity overnight, and Microsoft will surely fix windows 8 in SP1, just as it did with Vista.

You may want to get a windows 7 CD, and write down your existing windows installation's serial number (the one on the glorified holographic label most probably sticked under your laptop).

wraith808:
Windows 7 won't become a rarity overnight, and Microsoft will surely fix windows 8 in SP1, just as it did with Vista every other version of Windows.
-eleman (November 08, 2012, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

FTFY  8)

I've not known a version of Windows to be solid the first iteration yet.  It's just with some iterations, people forget it more than others.  ;D

40hz:
Windows 7 won't become a rarity overnight, and Microsoft will surely fix windows 8 in SP1, just as it did with Vista every other version of Windows.
-eleman (November 08, 2012, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

FTFY  8)

I've not known a version of Windows to be solid the first iteration yet.  It's just with some iterations, people forget it more than others.  ;D
-wraith808 (November 08, 2012, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 w/wraith - Three has always been the 'magic' number for Microsoft if their past history is anything to go by. Either Version 3 or Service Pack 3 - whichever came last.  :-\

cranioscopical:
+1 w/wraith - Three has always been the 'magic' number for Microsoft if their past history is anything to go by. Either Version 3 or Service Pack 3 - whichever came last.  :-\
-40hz (November 08, 2012, 11:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
The rumour is that they will fix that this time around. Apparently they will first issue SP3 and SP1 will not be released until much later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version