ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Easy Screencast Recorder

LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - Easy Screencast Recorder - v1.17.01 - May 31, 2017

<< < (25/41) > >>

Vurbal:
Glad to help! It took me literally thousands of hours of reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading to understand this stuff so I know how frustrating (and unnecessarily confusing) it can be.

ewemoa:
Making it through took me a while and I feel a bit more comfortable, but I am left wondering what "sample" means.

Any help on that?

Vurbal:
I don't know if this can be simplified enough to make it worth adding to that post but I can explain in basic terms. I'll stick to video sampling for the moment because digital video and digital audio have some fundamental differences.

Sampling is sort of like looking through a screen door. You can't actually see everything on the other side of the door. What you see is everythng in between the vertical and horizontal lines. Those spaces are essentially analog samples. Even though your vision is being partially blocked your brain can fill in the details between the samples to produce a complete image.

Digital sampling is a little different. Going back to the screen door, if you increase the size of the spaces you're looking through you also increase the information in each sample. A digital sample, on the other hand, has a fixed amount of information. Each video sample represents one point or a single RGB value. When you reduce the number of spaces in the grid what you are really doing is increasing the space in between samples.

To get away from the screen door analogy entirely, think of a digital image as a grid made up of samples (data points) and gaps (the space between them). More samples means smaller gaps and less information your brain has to fill in. The goal is to have enough samples that you don't notice the gaps.

wraith808:
^ That was a very good analogy!  Actually, one of the best, if not the best I've seen.  Thanks!

ewemoa:
Thanks for the explanation.

Is it far off to say then that for a given source (image, video, audio clip), sampling is a process of creating a set of components (samples) which can later be assembled to create something akin to the original source?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version