ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Now this is a Windows 8 review I heartily applaud

<< < (3/3)

Tinman57:
I use FARR and LBC for common stuff but i still have a deep start menu of EVERYTHING installed on the PC so that i can find things by category.

I think one of the problems is that most people dont know how to organize their start menu.  When organized it's a wonderful tool.
Instead of making it easier to organize, MS is trying to kill and hide it.  Very bad choice.

There is a real benefit to having a hierarchical organization of everything installed on the computer.-mouser (November 04, 2012, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly!  I see people just dumping shortcuts all in one place instead of organizing.  I have mine set up in categories; Games, Accessories, Multimedia, Communications and System Tools, with sub-categories to break things down even more.  Much more simple, easy to navigate, just the way I like it.....

rgdot:
Got to say that in these days of 8 and 16 GB of RAM, 90% of what I would need is open and stays open, much less need for shortcuts of any kind - bars, launchers, start menu, etc. My main PC is still an old XP but I am making a kind of generalization.

iphigenie:
I do need some form of browsing of things installed because for things I don't use very often, I have this terrible tendency to forget, or worse, misremember, the name of the applications  :-[

like docfetcher, for example, always search for docfinder... browsing fixes that. Of course if things installed in tiles I can browse or menus I can browse or if they installed with a 1 line description that one can search for too... all of it would work for me

Renegade:
Got to say that in these days of 8 and 16 GB of RAM, 90% of what I would need is open and stays open, much less need for shortcuts of any kind - bars, launchers, start menu, etc. My main PC is still an old XP but I am making a kind of generalization.
-rgdot (November 04, 2012, 08:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

You are not alone there.

I have quite a few applications (not "apps" - they are "application software") pinned in Windows 7. Now, I do have many others open, but they are usually in my Start menu applications (the frequently used ones when you first click Start). So, between those two places, 90% of everything I need is within 1 or 2 clicks. And I rarely even need to use them because they're always open.

Would I want everything tiled? I doubt it. I certainly like the taskbar as it lets me switch between applications very easily.

At the moment, I have 23 different applications running and visible in the taskbar. It's just really easy to use.

I've not tried Windows 8 yet, so I'm not qualified to comment on it. But I'm a bit skeptical that it will actually make my life easier.

The article above though was quite fun! :D I did enjoy that. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version