ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Now this is a Windows 8 review I heartily applaud

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
I use FARR and LBC for common stuff but i still have a deep start menu of EVERYTHING installed on the PC so that i can find things by category.

I think one of the problems is that most people dont know how to organize their start menu.  When organized it's a wonderful tool.
Instead of making it easier to organize, MS is trying to kill and hide it.  Very bad choice.

There is a real benefit to having a hierarchical organization of everything installed on the computer.

Josh:
Is it really a bad choice? I can't say that I've had the desire, over the past month+ to use my old start menu. Even when it was available, I did not use it often. I find myself using the start menu on Win8 in conjunction with FARR, both operate in basically the same manner. Both search existing entries although the win8 menu has a noticable speed advantage over FARR.

I used to be a very big fan of developing a set of 6-7 core folders, and grouping programs based on those core folders. Now, I don't even have to worry about it. I can just hit WINKEY (or WINKEY+A for farr), type a few letters and launch all using the keyboard. No mouse involvement, no wasted time sorting through menus (even if only 2-3 deep).

superboyac:
Yeah, I feel the same way about most everything mouser said.

wraith808:
I used to be a very big fan of developing a set of 6-7 core folders, and grouping programs based on those core folders. Now, I don't even have to worry about it. I can just hit WINKEY (or WINKEY+A for farr), type a few letters and launch all using the keyboard. No mouse involvement, no wasted time sorting through menus (even if only 2-3 deep).
-Josh (November 04, 2012, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

This sounds like I could have said it.  I'm not even on Windows 8, and I don't use my start menu.  I use a combination of Tiles, Nexus, FARR and Direct Access (phrase expander now, but I haven't upgraded in forever)

superboyac:
-Josh (November 04, 2012, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

This sounds like I could have said it.  I'm not even on Windows 8, and I don't use my start menu.  I use a combination of Tiles, Nexus, FARR and Direct Access (phrase expander now, but I haven't upgraded in forever)
-wraith808 (November 04, 2012, 03:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Right!  That's why I'm not that worried about anything Windows 8 is doing with interfaces and stuff.  Let them do whatever, someone like mouser will fix it later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version