ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

organize data for research

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
I'd echo @40hz, @Shades and @barney:
+ 1 for MS Office and in particular OneNote.

Suggestions:

* OneNote: I have been on a bit of a voyage of discovery with OneNote, and have started to post about it in the DC Forum here: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - some experiential Tips & Tricks
Might be worth a read as it covers some of the things you referred to or might be interested in or need.

* Reference Management software: There is good software in this category that could be seriously useful in research work. For example:

* Calibre: take a look at the review thread Calibre - e-Book (Personal Library/Document) Management - Mini-Review

* Qiqqa: I have been using this for a while now and should really do something about posting a review of it - the website is http://www.qiqqa.com/

kalos:
I see a problem with the amount of data they can handle

that's why a sql-featured software looks more sensible

Perry Mowbray:
Have you seen Library .NET Professional: it promises the world... but I've always wondered how much it actually delivered  :-\

IainB:
I see a problem with the amount of data they can handle
that's why a sql-featured software looks more sensible
-kalos (November 04, 2012, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Very droll.

40hz:
Have you seen Library .NET Professional: it promises the world... but I've always wondered how much it actually delivered  :-\
-Perry Mowbray (November 04, 2012, 11:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't read Tiwanese - or whatever their website is written in. Is it any different from most other two-pane outline/organizers that have multiple filetype support? It reminds me somewhat of MyBase.

Of course the single most important part of a research tool is it's organizing and search capabilities. If I had to give up a capture or convenience feature, or some type of file support, in exchange for a more powerful or granular search capability, I'd definitely opt for search.

A collection of data is just data. If you can locate and do things with it however, it has the potential to become knowledge.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version