ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

organize data for research

(1/4) > >>

kalos:
hello!

I want to gather data (text, rich text, diagrams, graphics, files, etc) and organize them for research purposes

I want to have a fully-featured text editor and rich text editor, a fully-featured diagram creator, a fully-featured table creator, a fully-featured graphics editor, a fully-featured file organizer, and all these inside an environment where I can organize in various ways (chapters, treeviews, etc) all that data

ofcourse MSWord is not the best solution, because not only it lacks many features, but also because I will either end up with many seperate files, or with one enormous file, which is cumbersome

can you point me somewhere please?

I lately figured out that there are some so-called desktop wiki programs, that seem interesting, do you know which is the best?

also, which other program categories would do what I need?

thanks!

40hz:
Try starting with Microsoft OneNote and Office.

That's the closest I can think of that has all the bells and whistles you seem to want in one package.
 8)

Shades:
No fan of MS Office here, but I do have to say their OneNote is a real gem.

barney:
Try starting with Microsoft OneNote and Office.

That's the closest I can think of that has all the bells and whistles you seem to want in one package.
 8)
-40hz (November 04, 2012, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
+1.

What you're asking for doesn't exist as a single entity, insofar as I am aware.

However, if you can do without a couple of the requirements - notable, the image editing - there are a number of products that may serve:

* Essential PIM
* TreePadX
* UltraRecall
* MyInfojust to name a few.

They'll all import/store images, attachments, RTF notes, charts, tables, Web pages, and the like.  All have a default tree view, although some modification is possible.  I'm currently using MyInfo for [mostly] Web-based research.  It can pull in whole pages or parts of a page, and lists the source URL - handy for citations.  It'll also grab the page graphics - most of 'em, anyway - and store the page(s) such that they appear just as they did on the Web.  The other products previously mentioned have all been used for this purpose at different times.

(What you're asking for is what a PC and dedicated software does ... then the organization is up to you  ;).)

40hz:
No fan of MS Office here, but I do have to say their OneNote is a real gem.

-Shades (November 04, 2012, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1. Much as I disagree with some of the design decisions and concepts behind it, if you're looking for a multi file type "grab bag" organizer, OneNote is about as good as it currently gets. It's one of those "Jai alai xistera" sort of tools. (i.e. "It's not very often you'll need a xistera - but if you do need one, there really isn't any substitute.") :mrgreen:

If you can get comfortable with it's unusual paradigm, OneNote should fit the bill. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version