ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CSS File Content "Vanishes" on Ubuntu Machine

<< < (3/3)

raybeere:
Heh, filename case was the first thing I thought of, but didn't bother mentioning it because you said FireBug showed the file as loading :)

-f0dder (November 07, 2012, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still don't understand that, but since everything is working now... I intend to leave well enough alone. :D

40hz:
In my defense, I've had a lot going on the past few months,
-raybeere (November 07, 2012, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood. No shame in that.

But this left me puzzled so I got to thinking...

I think with Firebug it didn't actually load anything which is why it displayed a blank from within the calling page. You asked for a non-existent (under Linux naming convention rules) element and it displayed what it found. In this case nothing - as in null. Which isn't quite the same thing as a blank page - which is technically something. Maybe it creates an empty file on the fly if it can't locate the one being requested?

A "stylesheet not found" error message would have been a lot more helpful, but whatcha gonna do?

Stuff like that happens to me all the time. I can successfully troubleshoot the most bizarre Windows server problem over breakfast. But then I'll make the dumbest typo imaginable for a common command in a two line script I've written before lunchtime. Or fix something really complex, run a test, catalog the fix, archive a copy, pop it on a USB key, invoke it on the live machine as a final test and verify it works there  - and then forget to write the changed file to disk on the machine it's supposed to run on. After the script's termination, or following the next reboot, the old script loads and the problem I just "fixed" is back. And I'm sitting there like a dork thinking  "Swell! What else just broke?"

Happens to all of us.  :-[

Try not to think about it too much. :)

Hope you're feeling better! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version