ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Synergy Virtual KVM

<< < (10/10)

clean:
Renegade, you missed that one - you should have read my post (just above the "Please drop it" one). ;-(

Renegade:
Just as a bit of follow up...

Having used Synergy for a while now, I'm quite happy with it. It seems much smoother now, and I really can't complain at all.

The only issue that I have had is with changing IP addresses. (I haven't assigned static IPs to every machine - only some.) But that's really my own fault, and not Synergy's.

So, big thumbs up for it.  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Just another quick little update for anyone interested in Synergy...

I finally put my laptop to work again. It has a stock trading platform on it, and how shall I put it without resorting to profanity? It's "difficult" to setup and get running properly. I spent 3 hours on it last night.

In any event, I setup Synergy on my laptop and had it running immediately. Super fast & easy.

But...

You knew there'd be a "BUT" in there somewhere...

The trading platform software runs in administrator mode. Which is fine. However, it seems that Synergy is excluded from interacting with any program running in admin mode. I double-checked with a command prompt in admin mode, and yep - no dice.

Also, if the program that's in admin mode has focus, Synergy cannot control get onto the screen or interact with it at all. You can still get back to other computers/screens, but the remote screen with the admin mode program effectively blocks Synergy completely until it has lost focus to anything NOT in admin mode.

I have a really crummy mouse connected to my laptop, and was looking forward to using my Logitech Performance MX as it is much nicer. (Funny thing, most people love my crappy mouse. I've been on other people's computers when they have the same mouse and I ask them how they manage to not lose their minds - then I'm stunned when they love it. Each to their own I suppose.)

Anyways, a small hiccup that shouldn't affect many people at all. Synergy is still darn good. I'm finding it quite smooth and quite enjoying it. Setting it up on the laptop was similarly simple - I only needed to add the name in the Synergy server on my main desktop and tada!

:Thmbsup:

wraith808:
However, it seems that Synergy is excluded from interacting with any program running in admin mode.
-Renegade (February 22, 2013, 03:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Where did you find this?  And is your normal account an admin?

Renegade:
However, it seems that Synergy is excluded from interacting with any program running in admin mode.
-Renegade (February 22, 2013, 03:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Where did you find this?  And is your normal account an admin?
-wraith808 (February 22, 2013, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I probably should have been explicit above. It's for any program that is "Run as administrator". If you see a shortcut with the little shield at the bottom, that's the same thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version