topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ubuntu Linux Amazon Integration & EFF  (Read 3393 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ubuntu Linux Amazon Integration & EFF
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Ubuntu Linux's Amazon integration gets a thumbs-down from the EFF
Online search results should be disabled by default, the advocacy group says.

http://www.pcworld.c...wn-from-the-eff.html

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ubuntu Linux Amazon Integration & EFF
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31 PM »
It took a while, but Shuttleworth's true colors are finally starting to show themselves for what they are.

It's not that big a surprise in that it was something most savvy Nix observers suspected was the game plan all along for Ubuntu. But it was disappointing to see just how accurate even the most cynical of their suspicions turned out to be.

Only a matter of time before Shuttleworth signs off on a FUD patent license with Microsoft.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:08 AM »
I'm not sure whether or not legalizing marijuana is the solution to the problem here... Would it simply make you no longer care? Or would you get even more paranoid about the nastiness that is inevitable? I suppose moving to a different distribution solves that problem without the need to smoke a pound of pot. :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 07:16 PM »
I'm not sure whether or not legalizing marijuana is the solution to the problem here... Would it simply make you no longer care? Or would you get even more paranoid about the nastiness that is inevitable? I suppose moving to a different distribution solves that problem without the need to smoke a pound of pot. :)

OR......  You can just change distribution and still smoke a pound of pot.....   >:D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:15 PM »

It's not so much that some distros feel the need to negotiate a "separate peace" and play Microsoft's game. The bigger problem is that it plays into Microsoft's long-term legal strategy. What Microsoft wants to do is establish that there is a de facto broad industry agreement that GNU/Linux infringes on Microsoft's IP without providing a court the chance to look too deeply into the allegation.

By getting major distros to individually cave to Redmond's arm twisting, Microsoft can make the case that a significant portion of the Linux world has already acknowledged Linux is infringing - else why did these sophisticated and knowledgeable developers feel it necessary to obtain software licenses from Microsoft in the first place?

Once a few more major distros have caved in - say maybe 10 or so of the top dozen  - Microsoft could then make the case (which would hold some water in a legal setting) that if Suse, RedHat, Fedora, Centos, and the Ubuntu family have all agreed to license from Microsoft there must be something to Microsoft's allegations that Linux is infringing. Especially since these distros employ some of the top coding talent - and who is better qualified to judge Microsoft's claim of infringement than these very same coders?

It's almost circular logic. But it plays well in court. Especially with a technically clueless judiciary and a moron jury.

I would like to see Microsoft attempt to prove its case in court. But Microsoft doesn't want to have to prove anything. (Likely because they can't.) Microsoft would much rather do a 'divide & conquer' in advance, and then have the cooperating distros turn Microsoft's assertions into a fiat accompli.

Pretty cute huh? :-\

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 08:25 PM »
It's not so much that some distros feel the need to negotiate a "separate peace" and play Microsoft's game. The bigger problem is that it plays into Microsoft's long-term legal strategy. What Microsoft wants to do is establish that there is a de facto broad industry agreement that GNU/Linux infringes on Microsoft's IP without providing a court the chance to look too deeply into the allegation.

By getting major distros to individually cave to Redmond's arm twisting, Microsoft can make the case that a significant portion of the Linux world has already acknowledged Linux is infringing - else why did these sophisticated and knowledgeable developers feel it necessary to obtain software licenses from Microsoft in the first place?

Once a few more major distros have caved in - say maybe 10 or so of the top dozen  - Microsoft could then make the case (which would hold some water in a legal setting) that if Suse, RedHat, Fedora, Centos, and the Ubuntu family have all agreed to license from Microsoft there must be something to Microsoft's allegations that Linux is infringing. Especially since these distros employ some of the top coding talent - and who is better qualified to judge Microsoft's claim of infringement than these very same coders?

It's almost circular logic. But it plays well in court. Especially with a technically clueless judiciary and a moron jury.

I would like to see Microsoft attempt to prove its case in court. But Microsoft doesn't want to have to prove anything. (Likely because they can't.) Microsoft would much rather do a 'divide & conquer' in advance, and then have the cooperating distros turn Microsoft's assertions into a fiat accompli.

Pretty cute huh? :-\

I never thought about it that way, but I do see your point.  Methinks Linux is bowing down to MS when they should be kicking them in the gnads.....