ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

FTC to give $50,000 for robocall solution

(1/4) > >>

Tinman57:
FTC Wants to Give You $50,000 to Stomp out Cellphone Robocalls

Tired of unsolicited calls using up your cellphone minutes? Do you find yourself running short before the month is over due to them? Do you have what it takes to develop a technology that would prevent robocalls and thereby prevent these type of phone calls from disturbing the recipients? If so, the FTC Director of Consumer Protection believes that the winner could become a national hero with the additional incentive of $50,000 being offered by the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) for their efforts. Though the term national hero may be somewhat of an exaggeration, the problem of robocalling is for real. In fact, it continues to flourish despite regulations and legal attempts to stomp out the problem. However, one must know that there are exceptions to the rules, laws, and regulations -- such as the main one, which is designed to protect those individuals who actually opt-in to receive such solicitation. So, while the exceptions are few, telemarketers whose livelihood depends on making phone contact with the public as well as scam artists continue to bombard the public with unwanted calls -- some even disturbing us in the middle of the night.

http://www.lockergnome.com/news/2012/10/30/ftc-wants-to-give-you-50000-to-stomp-out-cellphone-robocalls/

40hz:
Hmm...how many "hits" can you put out "on contract" with $50K in the bank? :tellme:

Oh yeah...I'm asking this purely as an intellectual exercise. ;D

rgdot:
A whitelist

Where is my $50k?  :P

Ehtyar:
$50k wouldn't fund research for a terribly long time - especially without the ancillary resources available to the government. Typical government - "look, we're doing something about it!" when really they're just frivolously spending your money. Wonder how much it costs them per year to handle all the reports and followup.

Ehtyar.

hamradio:
A whitelist

Where is my $50k?  :P
-rgdot (November 01, 2012, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

And what about spoofed numbers?  There goes your 50k...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version