ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hurricane Sandy Discussion Thread

<< < (11/12) > >>

40hz:
Some people rate a blog of their own.

DoCo's IainB rates an entire wiki! ;D :Thmbsup:

Good Lord! That last post is gonna take a little time to read and fully digest.

So ok...I guess I've got my next coffee break planned. ;)

-----

@IainB: thanks for mentioning W.E. Deming. I've pretty much read his entire corpus and found 99% of his thinking spot on. His "seven deadly diseases" of business still rings true despite them being so widely ignored.

The 7 Deadly DiseasesThe "Seven Deadly Diseases" include:

* Lack of constancy of purpose
* Emphasis on short-term profits
* Evaluation by performance, merit rating, or annual review of performance
* Mobility of management
* Running a company on visible figures alone
* Excessive medical costs
* Excessive costs of warranty, fueled by lawyers who work for contingency fees
"A Lesser Category of Obstacles" includes

* Neglecting long-range planning
* Relying on technology to solve problems
* Seeking examples to follow rather than developing solutions
* Excuses, such as "our problems are different"
* Obsolescence in school that management skill can be taught in classes[27]
* Reliance on quality control departments rather than management, supervisors, managers of purchasing, and production workers
* Placing blame on workforces who are only responsible for 15% of mistakes where the system designed by management is responsible for 85% of the unintended consequences
* Relying on quality inspection rather than improving product quality

--- End quote ---

I had high hopes for a while in the late 80s and early 90s when Deming enjoyed a brief renaissance in US management circles. Unfortunately, that got torpedoed when talk about the so-called "new economy" started gaining traction. That's when many in business started believing in magical worlds where success could be achieved via high expenses, no actual sales, and a work force that did whatever it felt like doing - and where "having pfun" was considered the absolute measure of success.

W.E. Deming (and Eliyahu M. Goldratt) need to be on every would be businessperson's "must read" list

IainB:
Interesting what telling official documents you can dig up with a bit of work...
Army documents offer lessons learned from Hurricane Andrew

IainB:
After all the misinformation and debate about the cause of H-Sandy, it's good to see some certainty - clear and rational truth being spoken by those who know...
http://www.memri.org/clip/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/3637.htm

Who would'a thunk it?     :tellme:

40hz:
Who would'a thunk it?     :tellme
-IainB (November 17, 2012, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not me. I know it was an alien plot to meant to mask the departure of that giant submerged UFO 100 miles off the coast of New Jersey. :Thmbsup:

Which kinda explains a lot of things doesn't it? 8)

app103:
I know it was an alien plot to meant to mask the departure of that giant submerged UFO 100 miles off the coast of New Jersey. :Thmbsup:
-40hz (November 17, 2012, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Crap! My family left without me!  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version