ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.

<< < (3/14) > >>

IainB:
Just to add this bit of info from an old thread (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=19309.msg176095#msg176095):
20% coupon code for Malwarebytes valid as of 30 October 2012: BM6-3S7-665
I don't know how long the code will be good, but it's been valid since at least March 2012.
-mwb1100 (October 30, 2012, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
@mwb1100: Thanks  for that. I have added it as a note to the OP.

erikts:
Just to add this bit of info from an old thread (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=19309.msg176095#msg176095):

20% coupon code for Malwarebytes valid as of 30 October 2012: BM6-3S7-665

I don't know how long the code will be good, but it's been valid since at least March 2012.

-mwb1100 (October 30, 2012, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is still valid today (31 October 2012 01:45 GMT)

rgdot:
I also installed MBAM PRO on my other laptop that my daughter uses. Even if MBAM PRO potentially sometimes could be a bit conservative (e.g., "false positives" as suggested by @rgdot), I have not yet experienced that and anyway I could put up with that. B
-IainB (October 30, 2012, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I gladly put up with it too, MBAM has saved me more than all others (AVs, etc.) combined. Just said "don't like"  because people I have helped complain about what seems legitimate to them and I didn't see any adverse effects when using the free version.

cyberdiva:
Has happened to me more than a few times:
Using the pro version a site/IP gets blocked, another pc has the free one and visits that same site moments later. Scanning the pc with the free version finds nothing. I guess this is one form of false positive and as valuable as MBAM is I don't like this.
-rgdot (October 30, 2012, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I could be mistaken, but I think the IP protection works only in the Pro version.  Thus, a PC with just the free version will not get warnings or IP blocking.  Also, Malwarebytes blocks IP addresses and ranges of IP addresses that are known to be used by malicious websites.  It's perfectly possible that the site you went to on the PC with MBAM's free version shares its IP address with malicious domains, and thus going to that IP address could result in malware being transferred to your computer, but it also could result in nothing bad happening.  The blocking is not really a false positive if the IP address is also used by malicious sites.  However, you can always instruct your copy of MBAM not to block a specific IP number, if you're confident that nothing bad will happen, even if the site shares its IP address with bad guys.  And if you're convinced that the IP address is not being shared with bad guys, you can also report the blockage as a false positive on the MBAM forum website.  They will investigate and either change their listing so the IP address is no longer blocked or explain to you why they feel it IS a malicious IP address.  Either way, they're good about explaining what they're doing, and you can override their judgment if you wish.

rgdot:
Has happened to me more than a few times:
Using the pro version a site/IP gets blocked, another pc has the free one and visits that same site moments later. Scanning the pc with the free version finds nothing. I guess this is one form of false positive and as valuable as MBAM is I don't like this.
-rgdot (October 30, 2012, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I could be mistaken, but I think the IP protection works only in the Pro version.  Thus, a PC with just the free version will not get warnings or IP blocking.  Also, Malwarebytes blocks IP addresses and ranges of IP addresses that are known to be used by malicious websites.  It's perfectly possible that the site you went to on the PC with MBAM's free version shares its IP address with malicious domains, and thus going to that IP address could result in malware being transferred to your computer, but it also could result in nothing bad happening.  The blocking is not really a false positive if the IP address is also used by malicious sites.  However, you can always instruct your copy of MBAM not to block a specific IP number, if you're confident that nothing bad will happen, even if the site shares its IP address with bad guys.  And if you're convinced that the IP address is not being shared with bad guys, you can also report the blockage as a false positive on the MBAM forum website.  They will investigate and either change their listing so the IP address is no longer blocked or explain to you why they feel it IS a malicious IP address.  Either way, they're good about explaining what they're doing, and you can override their judgment if you wish.
-cyberdiva (October 31, 2012, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes the pro version does that. I understand your explanation about 'shared IP so maybe not that particular site'. My post wasn't so much about not liking MBAM itself but about how to manage its usage for the non techy. Non techy sees pro version blocking a site but when shown the site on a pc with free version no ill effects...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version