ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.

<< < (2/14) > >>

cyberdiva:
One nice thing is that it is easy to use only on demand when you need it, rather than having it stay resident, which makes it a good secondary tool to have in addition to a resident antivirus.
-mouser (October 30, 2012, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's true, but according to the Malwarebytes folks, the software is intended to supplement, not duplicate, the work done by an antivirus program.  That is, Malwarebytes is designed to ignore many of the things a good AV is expected to catch and to find the malware that most AV programs often miss.  That's why I feel that the Pro version's always-on protection is worth the modest amount it costs.  You don't get this if you use MBAM only every now and then.

rgdot:
Has happened to me more than a few times:
Using the pro version a site/IP gets blocked, another pc has the free one and visits that same site moments later. Scanning the pc with the free version finds nothing. I guess this is one form of false positive and as valuable as MBAM is I don't like this.

mwb1100:
Just to add this bit of info from an old thread (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=19309.msg176095#msg176095):

20% coupon code for Malwarebytes valid as of 30 October 2012: BM6-3S7-665

I don't know how long the code will be good, but it's been valid since at least March 2012.

rjbull:
I already run Online Armor firewall and F-Prot AV.  I'm somewhat concerned at running another anti-malware program, simply because of slowing everything down.  Any comments?

IainB:
One nice thing is that it is easy to use only on demand when you need it, rather than having it stay resident, which makes it a good secondary tool to have in addition to a resident antivirus.
-mouser (October 30, 2012, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's true, but according to the Malwarebytes folks, the software is intended to supplement, not duplicate, the work done by an antivirus program.  That is, Malwarebytes is designed to ignore many of the things a good AV is expected to catch and to find the malware that most AV programs often miss.  That's why I feel that the Pro version's always-on protection is worth the modest amount it costs.  You don't get this if you use MBAM only every now and then.
-cyberdiva (October 30, 2012, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I tried out MBAM PRO rather tentatively at first, to see if its always-on realtime protection was an overhead or intrusive. It seemed fine on both counts, and I always check out any site that it blocks - they have all been dodgy so far; every time a coconut.
I also installed MBAM PRO on my other laptop that my daughter uses. Even if MBAM PRO potentially sometimes could be a bit conservative (e.g., "false positives" as suggested by @rgdot), I have not yet experienced that and anyway I could put up with that. Big plus is that it's an ideal safeguard for my daughter's trouble-fee browsing and Internet use. That is, she's unlikely to inadvertently or easily download any malware/adware from her casual click-happy antics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version