ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

A Large Database Of Free Games

(1/4) > >>

gameaddict20:
Hi guys,
thefreegamesdb.com is a large (400+) database of freeware/indie free to play games with direct download links, they are all free, legal, ad free, and most come close to big studio/publisher standards, in fact some are even big publisher games released as freeware. The site also allows anyone to add games, artwork, reviews and ratings.
Just wanted to get some feedback on the looks, usability and your general opinions about it.

40hz:
Awesome! Some very good stuff there. Nice site! :Thmbsup:

That said, I have to say I don't really care for the interface on the main pages. It's a clever and attractive concept. But I quickly got bored clicking what's basically a slideshow while looking to see what was available. I think the presentation on the Search by Genres link and actual search pages themselves are much more practical and pleasant to use.

Suggestion: move the 'search by genre' link. I almost didn't notice it on the bottom of the page. Especially since it was just a text link that fell below the fold. Maybe put it on a big honking button up top somewhere? I can't speak for everyone, but when it comes to games, I'm definitely a genre shopper. And so are most of my gaming friends.

Take a look at how Good Old Games does stuff on their website. They do several things to make it convenient for their visitors to find and drill down to the information they're looking for. Some of what they do might be worth using for inspiration.

gameaddict20:
I've changed the menu system and added a suggestion to search, what do you think? Improvement?
(May have to clear cache)

40hz:
I've changed the menu system and added a suggestion to search, what do you think? Improvement?
(May have to clear cache)
-gameaddict20 (October 27, 2012, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

The new menu is a definite improvement IMHO. I really really like it. :Thmbsup:

Also thank you for covering Linux games. I think a site as professional looking as yours will help make people much more aware of some of the really good games available for that platform.

You need to check the accuracy of some entries however. For example, FlightGear shows as being "Windows" only when it in fact is available for Windows XP thru 7, OSX 10.6 thru 10.8, as well as Linux and BSD. Look here.

Suggest having multi-platform games display "Multiple" with a mouse over that then shows exactly which.

I'd also suggest putting a link to an "about" page on the menu bar. Many people like to know who they're dealing with, what the site's mission statement is, and some miscellaneous background on how the site came to be. It's that personal touch that makes for a more vibrant community - and also goes a long way towards allaying fears that yours might be a scam or a pirated software site they've landed on.

:Thmbsup:

gameaddict20:
I've updated the game pages and edit and add pages along with a alphabet filter. What do you think?
Personally I think it looks 100x better than the previous interface.
Also 40hz I really appreciate your help, its really made a massive difference to the site :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version