ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Best New Features in Windows 8

(1/2) > >>

wraith808:
The Best New Features in Windows 8

I know to a lot, this will fall on deaf ears, but I figured some might like the article. (via Lifehacker)

One feature I'd not heard about and it seems as easy to use as System Restore (which is one of the best features of recent years) is "Refresh your PC"

It also has a really cool feature called "refresh your PC", where you can do a clean install with the tap of a button. Whether you're selling your machine or just want a cleaner, faster installation of Windows, you can do it all in one click. You can even set refresh points, similar to restore points, so you can refresh your PC to the way it was at a certain point in time.

--- End quote ---

TaoPhoenix:
That sounds like the Too Good To Be True dept, so I am curious for the real world notes to come in. In my opinion MS used to have a bad habit of making an inferior free copy of certain famous external utilities for the OS. The big one that really got to me was that System Restore seemed like an inferior copy of GoBack for Win2000, and a long time ago I tried to use GoBack on WinXP and the machine tanked hard.  >:( 

The obvious corollary program is a 7 click (or so) full backup to somewhere else, do the clean install, and then push everything back on.

wraith808:
I suppose everyone's experiences are different.  System Restore has saved me more times than I can count; I have nothing but positive things to say about it (and have heard nothing but positive things).

Josh:
I suppose everyone's experiences are different.  System Restore has saved me more times than I can count; I have nothing but positive things to say about it (and have heard nothing but positive things).
-wraith808 (October 26, 2012, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto. I love system restore and have already tested the "refresh my pc" option in Win8, just because. It works and it works well.

40hz:
It would be really nice if Microsoft could just abandon their registry nonsense and require installed apps to put everything they need (possibly with the exception of .NET and related Microsoft items that are supplied by default with every Windows installation) into their own directory tree. The world would be a much better place if that were so. The registry makes some sense in a managed environment where the network admins need to monitor individual PCs and be able to push updates and changes out to hundreds of seats at a time. For a home or solo PC it's a ridiculous amount of complexity and overhead to have to deal with just to save some disk space.

Disk space is cheap. So is RAM. So having duplicate binaries and whatnot isn't that big a deal anymore.

Oh wait...the FUTURE is with TABLETS!!! I forgot...

I guess disk space will go back to being at a premium pretty soon huh? I mean look...all those movies, and ebooks, and music the media giants just know you're gonna go buy and download have to be saved somewhere, right? And they'll likely almost all be DRM-locked to a specific device - so it's not like you can just save them anywhere you've got space.
 :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version