ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ArsTechnica hands-on review of Surface RT

<< < (3/5) > >>

vlastimil:
IIUC, Surface with Windows RT => ARM chip => no legacy apps & no other operating systems...
-ewemoa (October 25, 2012, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly. Surprisingly, this major drawback is not mentioned in a good number of Surface reviews. Are reviewers really not bothered by the closeness of WinRT?

Ath:
Are reviewers really not bothered by the closeness of WinRT?
-vlastimil (October 26, 2012, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly the same limitation goes for all iPad models.
Or most Android tablets for that matter. Advantage of Android is that there are several variations (aka custom ROMs) available, but usually not when these tablets are introduced.

There are Android ROM's available for a few older Windows Mobile 6.x phones, so let's wait and see :)

40hz:
I dont want to take this off-topic,
but I couldnt figure out if this meant you were happy or not with the ipad
(I think happy?) -

I hesitated over getting an iPad ... and not a day goes by that I've regretted it. In fact, with each passing day, I'm more and more happy I didn't now that I know even more about it than I did then.
-40hz (October 25, 2012, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
... I think you've made an unintentional headwrecker there 40 :)
-tomos (October 26, 2012, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably. ;D

That's what I get for composing a post on an iPhone while doing two other things. (Been reading to much in German lately too!)

Translated from 40hz to standard English: I'm glad I didn't get the iPad when it came out. And now that I know more about it, I'm even gladder I didn't.

Sorry for the confusion. ;)

40hz:

so let's wait and see :)

-Ath (October 26, 2012, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here's how I'm gonna approach it. FF 30 seconds and play through to the 45 second mark: ;)

I'll be the guy on the left in case you're wondering.  ;D

vlastimil:
Exactly the same limitation goes for all iPad models.
Or most Android tablets for that matter. Advantage of Android is that there are several variations (aka custom ROMs) available, but usually not when these tablets are introduced.

There are Android ROM's available for a few older Windows Mobile 6.x phones, so let's wait and see :)
-Ath (October 26, 2012, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, Apple is Apple. They more or less started the tablet madness and were smart/moral-less enough to close the new platform. I'll simply ignore them (never had any iPhone nor iPad).

Although I do not own Android tablet, there seem to be a lot of various guides on how to install apps not in the Google store on your Android phone or tablet. These ways may be much less comfortable than using the store, but they are clean, legal ways and no hacks. So, I do not consider Android closed.

Now comes WinRT. On tablets with Windows RT totally closed, on x86 desktops with normal Windows 8, partially closed (you can run legacy any apps, but only Ms approved new apps). That is a new thing - closing desktops. That irritates me a lot. Mainly because the WinRT API looks pretty good compared to iPad's or Android's API. I would love to use it to make Metro app, but under the current conditions, I refuse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version