ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Neowin reviews Windows 8 - Leave your pre-conceived notions at the door

<< < (4/11) > >>

tranglos:
It’s time to reinvent the desktop OS

--- End quote ---
-Josh (October 24, 2012, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Says who? Seriously, whoever pronounces such a grand ex-cathedra statement better do some heavy lifting first to support this argument.

Like Neowin says, take Windows 8 for what it is. Do not try and compare it to the past versions of Windows.
--- End quote ---

Why not? It's not a new Clint Eastwood movie. It's not a work of art. It is a tool which I expect to make my life and work easier. If I buy a new hammer, it is perfectly reasonable to compare it to the one I had before.

Anyway, how's that touch UI on a screen positioned some three feet away from the user? :-)

While I'm ranting, who came up with that infinitely lame and untranslatable name, "charms"? In Polish version of 8 this thing is now simply called a "panel". We do have a word for a "charm", of course, but used for anything other than a physical artifact such as an amulet or a talisman, it just sounds too weird and nonsensical. As a software translator, I am thankful I was not the one who had to figure this one out. Next, why not call folders "teepees" and files, "gems"? That would be really modern and really hipster-like, oh my!

tomos:
^ lol tranglos :D

_______
general comment:

I havent used 8, but it seems to me there's a share of reaction against it because of the [very understandable] fear that MS might be planning to abandon the desktop. This is not helped by them trying -to a certain extent at any rate- to force the (non)Metro interface on us. Of course this could be them just trying to familiarise us with it so we're open to buying xyz with Windows 8 (or something similar) on it. As a corporation, I know MS dont care about the desktop, but business wont tolerate it's disappearance so I feel reasonably secure -
but not rock solid :-\

A lot of people more expert than me doubt the wisdom of combining desktop and touch interfaces, but from reading reviews it *sounds* like they've done a reasonably good job.

40hz:
A lot of people more expert than me doubt the wisdom of combining desktop and touch interfaces, but from reading reviews it *sounds* like they've done a reasonably good job.
-tomos (October 24, 2012, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps. But I beg you to consider that should you attend a carnival - and find yourself in an audience that's applauding the performance of a "dancing" pig - it's important to remember most people aren't so much applauding the pig because it dances well. They simply bought their ticket, and are now applauding, because they're amazed a pig could do something which roughly resembles a dance at all.
 :-\

tomos:
--- End quote ---

Perhaps. But I beg you to consider that when you attend a carnival - and find yourself in a crowd that's applauding the performance of a dancing pig - it's important to remember most people aren't so much applauding the pig because it dances well. They're simply applauding because they're amazed a pig can do something which resembles a dance at all.
-40hz (October 24, 2012, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

You've tried it - I haven't (maybe I should give up there...)
For business people there is no advantage to this over 7, which probably means that 7 will be the next XP.

Maybe with 9, [they'll have done their advertising] they'll bring back start, make it so as desktop is completely separate from the other.
We'll see...

superboyac:
--- End quote ---

Perhaps. But I beg you to consider that should you attend a carnival - and find yourself in an audience that's applauding the performance of a "dancing" pig - it's important to remember most people aren't so much applauding the pig because it dances well. They simply bought their ticket, and are now applauding, because they're amazed a pig could do something which roughly resembles a dance at all.
-40hz (October 24, 2012, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's a pretty accurate description of my perspective. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version