ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Neowin reviews Windows 8 - Leave your pre-conceived notions at the door

(1/11) > >>

Josh:

Before you read another word of this review, I need you to do something very important. Take all of your preconceived notions about what Windows is today and what you are familiar with, and put them aside. It’s time to reinvent the desktop OS and Microsoft is leading the charge.

At the end of this review, you will see three scores. One score is for using Windows 8 with a keyboard and mouse, one is for using Windows 8 as a touch-based platform and the final is a combined score. The reasoning for this is that each input method offers two distinct experiences and to combine them into a single score would not accurately reflect the true value of the product; the summary score is made up of the two independent scores.
--- End quote ---

Source

Like Neowin says, take Windows 8 for what it is. Do not try and compare it to the past versions of Windows. While some will oppose this change, those that I know who run Windows 8 are actually enjoying it once getting past the new "Metro Screen".

On a side note, I have been running Windows 8 for over a month and love every aspect of it. Once I get a touch screen laptop (next month or two), I can see a lot of this new functionality being VERY useful.

eleman:
Before you read another word of this review, I need you to do something very important. Take all of your preconceived notions about what Windows is today and what you are familiar with, and put them aside. It’s time to reinvent the desktop OS and Microsoft is leading the charge.

--- End quote ---

Source
-Josh (October 24, 2012, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why? I like my notions better than a corporate product.

40hz:

--- End quote ---

Source
--- End quote ---

-eleman (October 24, 2012, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. :Thmbsup:  Once again somebody is presenting their conclusion as a premise.

<Buzzer sounds!> Faulty logic. :-\

40hz:
While some will oppose this change, those that I know who run Windows 8 are actually enjoying it once getting past the new "Metro Screen".
--- End quote ---

Really? :huh:

I have yet to meet any client of mine (who has given Win8 a respectable tryout) that felt it brought anything compelling to their work environment.

Quite the contrary, their consensus seemed to be it was "ok" - but only if viewed as a consumer/home product. "Different just to be different" and "Not worth the hassles or the upgrade" were the two most common assessments I heard. And these are techno-literate power users mostly.

:)

wraith808:
-eleman (October 24, 2012, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

It seems that what the reviewer is saying (after reading the review) is that if you put your preconceived notions aside and give it a chance, you'll see that it's not what everyone thinks.  Not sure about the conclusions he draws, but the statement is quite valid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version