ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Don't You Want to be "Safe"?

<< < (2/15) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

It's that joke I have made a few times now - time to get the Canary Server going.
"Today I was not arrested from being labeled a Terrorist."
"Today I was not arrested from being labeled a Terrorist."
(Crickets)

Tinman57:
WTF business is it of the UN?  :huh: -Renegade (October 23, 2012, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just like it's not their business to try to get guns outlawed in the U.S., but that don't stop them from trying every year.  The U.N. is a big joke that waste our tax dollars every year for bs like this....

40hz:
The UN is a baby's pacifier. You can suck on it all day and not get anything of substance. But that's still enough to satisfy some people who have been taught never to quit and always keep on trying.

But the simple fact it exists does provide some benefit in that it serves as a reminder for how things might be if every nation on the planet didn't so jealously guard its own national sovereignty and prerogatives.
 :-\

SeraphimLabs:
Also, because the UN has effectively global authority, the same nutjobs that were trying to get laws passed in the US have begun to take their issues to the UN- likely on the reasoning of global network, global police.

If any of this actually goes through we're screwed, or going to see a global realignment.

40hz:
Also, because the UN has effectively global authority, the same nutjobs that were trying to get laws passed in the US have begun to take their issues to the UN- likely on the reasoning of global network, global police.

If any of this actually goes through we're screwed, or going to see a global realignment.

-SeraphimLabs (October 24, 2012, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The UN has global jurisdiction - but little actual authority. Unless you count resolutions that are routinely flouted and ignored as authority.

But that's not surprising. When it was set up, there was concern that it not become the world's new governmental body, so the permanent member veto powers were incorporated into the charter making it very easy for certain "more equal" members to block anything the UN attempts to accomplish.

Simple fact is unless you have your own nukes or standing army under your direct control, your authority is largely symbolic. Even now the UN has to petition its members for ad hoc expeditionary and "peacekeeping" forces on those extremely rare occasions it is able to get a resolution for direct action passed by the assembly.

I always thought of the UN as something much like a high school's Student Council. It has all the trappings of democratically elected representative body. But it exists only by leave of the school administration and it has no real authority. It's free to debate and petition and resolve what it will. But everybody knows that the faculty (i.e. the members of the Security Council) and the School Board (i.e. the permanent members of same) call the shots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version