topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tracking Brainwaves to Protect Our Borders  (Read 4596 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tracking Brainwaves to Protect Our Borders
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Surveillance: Tracking Brainwaves to Protect Our Borders

Ever wonder what it would be like if the person who you are talking to could suddenly read your true thoughts? I know I have and have been very thankful that my thoughts were my own private treasure trove not open for public scrutiny. Well, that one private area of our lives that we have often thought untouchable by others may become a target of our war on terrorism. One might wonder why this is necessary since it seems that Homeland Security has done a fairly good job, since 9/11, of securing our borders. In fact, it seems that our nation is employing an increasingly vigilant military personnel as well as private contractors equipped with the latest in cameras and sensors to actively watch our borders.

http://www.lockergno...tracking-brainwaves/

[I guess the next thing on the agenda is "The Dream Police", and I'm not talking about Cheap Trick either....]

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tracking Brainwaves to Protect Our Borders
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Ever wonder what it would be like if the person who you are talking to could suddenly read your true thoughts? I know I have

We know you have too! :P ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:19 PM »
Sigh...

From the article:

However, for the conspiracy theorists among us, I can already hear the outcries of Big Brother is watching (or, in this case, listening). In this instance, I can see how they could come to this conclusion, but at some point, one has to decide to trust those in power. In other words, do we want to see our nation, and therefore our borders, protected from terrorist entry, or are we willing to take the chance that a dangerous drug cartel or terrorist group will find a gaping security hole along our border defense? I know I wish that we didn’t find ourselves in this position, but the powers that be feel that the best way to protect us and those who serve us is by patrolling our long borders. As always, I am curious to hear your input, so please feel free to comment.

Let's translate that into realityville...

However, for the conspiracy theorists among us,

Wow. An attempt to shut down conversation on the topic by throwing around the "conspiracy theorist" label. Didn't see that one coming...  :-\

I can already hear the outcries of Big Brother is watching (or, in this case, listening).

Ummm... Because they are? Just how idiotic is this writer? Didn't notice the thousands upon thousands of surveillance cameras everywhere? Or maybe he didn't notice all the online surveillance? Maybe he's just blind...

In this instance, I can see how they could come to this conclusion,

Really? You can understand how increased surveillance at every step is kind of something like maybe Big Brother? How perceptive of you~! :P

but at some point, one has to decide to trust those in power.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA~!

Seriously? Is this guy for real?

Trust those in power. Let's have a nice little list of "those in power"... Or maybe we'll just skip it. We all know where that ends up... (mass graves)

In other words, do we want to see our nation, and therefore our borders, protected from terrorist entry,

Oh yes! The massive hordes of terrorists throwing themselves against the border, wave after wave of relentless terrorist hordes! Oh god... How many "terrorists" has the DHS caught? Didn't think so...

or are we willing to take the chance that a dangerous drug cartel

Like the CIA, perhaps?

or terrorist group

Like those you find in Washington D.C.?

will find a gaping security hole along our border defense?

Like the ones the CIA uses for muling drugs into the US? Or the ones that the US military uses?

I know I wish that we didn’t find ourselves in this position, but the powers that be feel that the best way to protect us and those who serve us is by patrolling our long borders.

"The powers that be" = Big Brother. Which part of that was difficult to understand?

And better be careful about those darn Canadians! God knows they're all filled with piss & vinegar and looking to destroy the US at any opportunity...  :-\

As always, I am curious to hear your input, so please feel free to comment.

No. He's not. He just wants people to scream out in fear about imaginary "terrorists" and congratulate him on screaming for fewer freedoms and a bigger police state. Describing him as "disingenuous" would be kind.

This guy needs to understand 1 thing... When you send drones to bomb people at weddings, you're going to have a few people pissed off at you.

Just unreal. Completely surreal. I don't know whether to vomit in disgust or cry in despair.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:00 AM »
Here's a thought... Instead of worrying and whining about all those pesky Mexicans sneaking across the border to snap up all of the highly sought after kitchen, gardening and janitorial positions ... Why don't we just ask them to watch for people that don't belong.

Hell if enough of them were allowed over here to really see how badly we've managed to screw this country up they'd probably start patrollong the border for us just to protect their own from the land of false hope.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07 AM »
I'm going to go to sleep tonight dreaming about that babe over in DHS... oh wait...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:25 AM »
I'm going to go to sleep tonight dreaming about that babe over in DHS... oh wait...

I think you've got things backwards... It's THEIR job to molest YOU. ;) :P

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Here's a thought... Instead of worrying and whining about all those pesky Mexicans sneaking across the border to snap up all of the highly sought after kitchen, gardening and janitorial positions ...

Emphasis, mine. I know you were trying to be sarcastic there, but the truth is that these jobs are highly sought after, and at a legal wage. There are a whole lot of people out of work that would jump at the opportunity to earn a living, even if it means doing work like that.

My husband, who has worked in a kitchen his whole life, and has been out of work since July 4, would like to have one of those kitchen jobs, and would prefer to be paid at least the state minimum wage, if possible. If he can find one that is willing to hire an American, he will likely be expected to work off the books for $5/hr, like the illegals he will be working alongside. That's $2.25 less than the state minimum and over the course of a 40 hour work week comes out to being shorted by $90. Over the course of a month, that's about $360. Over the course of a year, that's $4680. I don't know about you, but my family can sure use that extra money. It can mean the difference between having the basic necessities of life and doing without.

Not to mention that if he were to lose that job he wouldn't be able to collect Unemployment.

Americans that do take these jobs can't complain or they risk being fired for something trivial or losing their jobs if the place ends up getting shut down for hiring illegals.

I don't know how to solve the problem, and I don't blame the illegals for it existing...they need to eat, just like everyone else.

It's the fault of the business owners that choose to pay an illegal wage, figuring that illegals will work for whatever they can get and won't mind being cheated. It is the fault of business owners that decide to only hire illegals, when people like my husband can't find a job...not the fault of the illegals they choose to hire. They do it to pay lower wages. They do it to avoid paying employment taxes. They do it to avoid paying Social Security/unemployment/disability taxes. They do it to avoid providing health insurance to their workers.

What they are doing is equal to outsourcing jobs to 3rd world countries, but they are doing it within the borders of the US.

THAT is what you need to stop. Forget border patrolling. Concentrate your efforts on the businesses that make this country attractive to come to illegally. The businesses that cause there to be more Americans on welfare because they can't find jobs, jobs that if they paid legal wages and hired Americans, would pay more than welfare does.

Start with the entire restaurant industry. Maybe get in there and monitor them all, especially the ones that seem to be (on the books) small mom & pop places with "no employees".

If that kind of business practice isn't stopped, it will spread, eventually affecting everyone, with lower wages across the board in all occupations...and higher taxes to support those that can't find jobs...and higher taxes to make up for the lost tax revenue from those businesses paying their workers off the books.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:53 PM »
t's the fault of the business owners that choose to pay an illegal wage, figuring that illegals will work for whatever they can get and won't mind being cheated. It is the fault of business owners that decide to only hire illegals, when people like my husband can't find a job...not the fault of the illegals they choose to hire. They do it to pay lower wages. They do it to avoid paying employment taxes. They do it to avoid paying Social Security/unemployment/disability taxes. They do it to avoid providing health insurance to their workers.

THAT is what you need to stop. Forget border patrolling. Concentrate your efforts on the businesses that make this country attractive to come to illegally. The businesses that cause there to be more Americans on welfare because they can't find jobs, jobs that if they paid legal wages and hired Americans, would pay more than welfare does.

Thank you April! A small voice arguing for sane and moral thinking in an insane and immoral world.

Sad thing is that most human societies demonstrate a disturbing tendency to adopt as their social norms what they do to their most helpless and powerless members. What we do to those who can't defend themselves eventually becomes what gets done to all of us.

In this case, it will ultimately end up lowering the working conditions and expectations of the entire US workforce. And all it will take is to arrange for the legal citizenry to become a bit more desperate for work (any work) then they currently are - and what we used to think of as the "third world" will soon become our world.

Like the old saying goes: What price 'dignity' when your belly's empty?

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Sigh...  Just unreal. Completely surreal. I don't know whether to vomit in disgust or cry in despair.

Well Renegade, you pretty much said everything that I was thinking when I read this article, just wanted to get someone elses opinion, which you did quite well I may add.
  If anyone needs to remember that famous quote you have in your tagline "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin", it would be the idiot author of that article.

The really scary thing about people like that is, they VOTE

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 02:12 AM »
I don't know how to solve the problem, and I don't blame the illegals for it existing...they need to eat, just like everyone else.

A very hard problem. Is it immoral to non-violently break the law (e.g. get an "illegal" job) in order to survive? I don't think so.

(I would love to chat about this topic, but it just goes down the rabbit hole way too fast and way too deep. And we're already kind of off-topic from the technology aspect.)

Sad thing is that most human societies demonstrate a disturbing tendency to adopt as their social norms what they do to their most helpless and powerless members. What we do to those who can't defend themselves eventually becomes what gets done to all of us.

Reminds me of 2 quotes:

First they came... (I think everyone knows this one.)

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. - Martin Luther King Jr.

In this case, it will ultimately end up lowering the working conditions and expectations of the entire US workforce. And all it will take is to arrange for the legal citizenry to become a bit more desperate for work (any work) then they currently are - and what we used to think of as the "third world" will soon become our world.

Like the old saying goes: What price 'dignity' when your belly's empty?

Got to wonder who the engineers of the USA's destruction are, because there's no way anyone is *THAT* incompetent to run the country into the ground so horrendously by accident.

Sigh...  Just unreal. Completely surreal. I don't know whether to vomit in disgust or cry in despair.

Well Renegade, you pretty much said everything that I was thinking when I read this article, just wanted to get someone elses opinion, which you did quite well I may add.

Thank you! :D

The really scary thing about people like that is, they VOTE

It only gets scarier...

Did anyone hear that a US presidential candidate was just arrested?

You read that right.

http://rt.com/usa/ne...ll-stein-debate-589/

Arrested outside the Robama/Obomney debate.

You just can't make this stuff up!

One of the scariest things is when people believe that there's a real choice there between Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum. Fact is, there are 5 choices:

https://en.wikipedia...ntial_election,_2012

Oh, and 6 if you count Cthulhu. ;D

247786_375701899176975_47392423_n.jpg

(I don't think anyone's posted that campaign picture here yet.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 06:58 AM »
Makes sense. Last thing you'd ever want to do is let something registering brainwaves get across US borders...