ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Dumbing-down of the educational system?

<< < (7/8) > >>

IainB:
I dunno Iain, just go content by content. The only 4th hand gripe I have of Khan Academy is it's a little disconnected, the items are shorter than reg college lectures, so it might take some work to organize them into an instructional pattern.
-TaoPhoenix (October 20, 2012, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's the approach that I took for evaluating the online KA elementary maths tuition system for Lily, comparing it to the content of another online elementary maths tuition system (Mathletics) that she was already using per her primary school's contract for the service. She said the KA one helped her to learn/overcome some stuff that she had been a bit "stuck" with (had not understood) and that the Mathletics one didn't really cover/help with.
I thought the Mathletics approach was too elementary and annoyingly repetitive in its positive reinforcement of right answers. I think it would have driven me crazy as a kid. I wondered whether the school might be abrogating responsibility for ensuring proper maths education by assuming that Mathletics would magically "do the job" for them.

Renegade:
I've viewed quite a few videos from Khan, and like them. The Gates thing though... Hmmm...

Renegade:
More in the education silliness department...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121018/17264820756/old-regulations-strike-again-minnesota-says-its-against-law-to-offer-open-courseware-class-without-approval.shtml

Old Regulations Strike Again: Minnesota Says It's Against The Law To Offer Open Courseware Class Without Approval

from the oh-come-on dept

Every day, it seems, we hear of yet another story of silly out-of-date regulations, which may have had a reasonable purpose initially, getting in the way of perfectly legitimate innovation. For example, there's been a massive growth in "open courseware" or open education programs, that put various educational classes online for everyone to benefit. They're not designed to replace the degrees of college, but rather to just help people learn. One of the biggest ones, Coursera, recently told people in Minnesota that they could no longer take Coursera classes, due to ridiculously outdated Minnesota regulations:
Notice for Minnesota Users:

Coursera has been informed by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education that under Minnesota Statutes (136A.61 to 136A.71), a university cannot offer online courses to Minnesota residents unless the university has received authorization from the State of Minnesota to do so. If you are a resident of Minnesota, you agree that either (1) you will not take courses on Coursera, or (2) for each class that you take, the majority of work you do for the class will be done from outside the State of Minnesota.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

app103:
In Victory for Common Sense, Minnesota Will Allow Free Online Courses After All

Renegade:
In Victory for Common Sense, Minnesota Will Allow Free Online Courses After All
-app103 (October 21, 2012, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Chalk one up for sanity! :D (An exceedingly rare event today!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version