ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Outing the Internet's worst troll.

<< < (5/9) > >>

wraith808:
A police friend of mine once told me they busted a guy with a ring and a baby seat in the back.  That's low.
-wraith808 (October 16, 2012, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Really, why? ...Maybe he wanted to try something that his wife didn't. Is he really obligated to be stuck eternally wondering what it would be like? Why is that fair?
-Stoic Joker (October 16, 2012, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because he agreed to it?  And there's another uninvolved person whose life is totally affected by his choice.  If he gets something and passes it on to her... if both of them die of some infectious disease and leave the child alone... does that still fall in the realm of fair?

You don't have to get married- that's your prerogative, and many people are choosing that these days since marriage isn't such an imperative.  And you can get a divorce... that's becoming easier and easier.

But if you choose to commit, you should choose to treat that commitment (and the person you're committed to) with a modicum of decency and basic humanity, and not go around lying behind the person's back.  And before the whole "maybe it was agreed upon" argument comes up, he was begging to be let go with a warning so his wife wouldn't find out... so yes, the whole lying thing was present and in full effect.

Sorry. Doing what this person did is plain evil. And like most things truly evil, it's amazing how utterly pointless and banal it is in its practice and intent.
-40hz (October 16, 2012, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bad yes.  Reprehensible yes.  Evil?  Well, we have a different definition of that.  I leave that to the people who do more than troll on the internet.  But the differences in definition are fine.  But when someone says that the people that shot the Pakistani girl were evil and you lump him in with it... well, you have too wide a spectrum there in my opinion.

Use of certain words in hyperbole IMO reduces the effectiveness of them when they are accurately used.  Racism, bigotry, homophobia, rape... they are used too commonly now, which water the terms down.  And IMO, this is a prime example of hyperbole.

anyone as is consenting
--- End quote ---

It's an ugly business. Until you see up close how it actually operates, you have no idea just how ugly it can be.
-40hz (October 16, 2012, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I totally agree with this.  It definitely doesn't just need to be legalized- but regulated in some way (which legalization would help) to get rid of some of the seamier practices that go along with it.  40 uses the example of a 14 year old... but the same thing applies to a 25 year old with two kids and no other way to make ends meet worried about offending her pimp.  Despair is a big part of that part of the industry that makes it as ugly as 40 says, and then some.

TaoPhoenix:
Backing up a bit from that angle, since my specialty is identity themes, I want to begin a look at "well, it's okay because it's *That Guy* (TM)." As long as it's That Guy, "it's okay to bust him, as he deserved it, la la la". Let me be the first to say I don't enjoy 95% of the output of trolls, but that's because it's the very far edge of the slippery slope. Do I stand by what I say? I do, *to a certain audience*. DC has its memes and my comments here are in the context of that inside understanding.  It would disturb me to have random people (do what the media likes to do, which is to...) pick juicy comments completely out of context.

I coined a phrase years ago for that - "Google Monkeys" - I even purposely left ID trails back to me, but it's enough to slow down bored snoops looking through 5,000 net posts for something to hang me with. Someone once told me to "write to an audience" and for example I have a 25% chance of getting a Slashdot post up-modded, because I write to that audience. I don't need ultra-prudes, maybe right wing maybe not, fine-combing every word I post.

And that's the thing - it gets slippery. Depending on your audience, the line between "hilarious" and "pure evil" slides a lot. Borrowing a slogan, "Friends Don't Let Friend's Mothers See 4Chan".

Stoic Joker:
anyone as is consenting
--- End quote ---

Agree up to a point. But then there's the issue of what you'd consider "consent."-40hz (October 16, 2012, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um... that would be the standardly accepted two (or more) consenting adults definition.

"I think you're really hot and I'd like to go to bed with you!" is pretty clearly consensual.-40hz (October 16, 2012, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

...Yepper, that's the one.

But so is: "Ok. I'll do ya for $50 instead of $75 - but only because if I don't come back with enough money tonight, my Man is gonna beat the living hell out of me again." It's just a different form of 'consent.'

So too with a runaway fourteen year old who is thinking: "If I don't wanna turn tricks anymore they said I can go back living out on the street anytime I want to. So maybe this ain't so bad compared to the street."

Gotta be careful with arguments defending prostitution in the USA.

I was involved in a crisis call center at one point in my career. Got an earful enough to last a lifetime. And trust me, while there may well be thousands of "high-class call girls" and "sly-boys" out there who "love" their job, there's easily ten times that many homeless, brutalized, blackmailed, and drug-addicted prostitutes on the payroll of your average "procurer" or "madam."

It's an ugly business. Until you see up close how it actually operates, you have no idea just how ugly it can be.-40hz (October 16, 2012, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

All of which are directly caused by shunning things into the shadows and making them naughty/illegal/wrong.

Legal and regulated properly would leave far less casualties.

wraith808:
-Stoic Joker (October 16, 2012, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

True... but who regulates?  Haven't they already done so by fiat?  It's just that no one wants to have the conversation, because it's a political hot potato, and being in the shadows makes it more so.  So in the meantime, I think the point about respect of commitment and others applies...

Stoic Joker:
-Stoic Joker (October 16, 2012, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

True... but who regulates?  Haven't they already done so by fiat?-wraith808 (October 16, 2012, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
LOL (Love that term) :Thmbsup: But I don't think the zero tolerance policy quite qualifies as a happy medium.

It's just that no one wants to have the conversation, because it's a political hot potato, and being in the shadows makes it more so.  So in the meantime, I think the point about respect of commitment and others applies...-wraith808 (October 16, 2012, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

There lying the crux of the problem ... Nothing good ever happens in a dark alley. But get a thing out into the light of a proper business environment, and things just tend to be a tad bit safer. Ya know?

Regulating based on morality is just silly...and dangerous. You're not stopping anything from happening ... You're just preventing people from getting paid for their "efforts" (e.g. prostitution does not equal or cause infidelity).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version