ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

3D Printing Under Attack

(1/15) > >>

Renegade:
Well, you didn't really think that the IP Schutzstaffel would let 3D printing go uncrushed for long? Did you?

http://torrentfreak.com/3d-printer-drm-patent-to-stop-people-downloading-a-car-121012/

3D Printer DRM Patent To Stop People Downloading a Car

DRM systems in the digital media world are nothing new and are utilized extensively in the music, movie and video games industries. Now, after applying four years ago, a company has this week obtained a patent for a DRM system that aims to stop future owners of 3D printers from printing whatever they like. The dream of downloading a new pair of sneakers or even a car might already be in jeopardy, before it’s even begun.
--- End quote ---

Bow to your intellectual property masters... Ideas are owned, and not by you.

A modest word of unsolicited advice that most people here probably don't need... Think before it's illegal.

Ok, reining myself back in... The article is quite good and outlines the issues very well. Or, it at least prompts questions.

Here's an analogous situation -- You have a book that you bought. You like it and enjoy it. You decide that you'd like to frame a quote from it as a poster in your den/workspace/whatever. You take a picture of it. You print it on your printer (because you've got a B3 sized printer). You frame it. Was that a crime? Is it a crime if you give the file to a friend to print to put in his/her office?

I fail to understand how ideas can be owned unless they are secrets.

40hz:
It was inevitable - and the outcome is predictable. :-\

TaoPhoenix:
It was inevitable - and the outcome is predictable. :-\
-40hz (October 12, 2012, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

The arc might be different than you think. 40hz, you were the one asking if I was a SF buff. Yes, but now with a speciality. I deliberately used "SF" because of the whole meme in the 60's-70's of saying the genre includes "*Speculative* Fiction" without a lot of traditional hard science content. If anything, you could say it's Sociology Science Fiction, but for example all the dystopian stories starting to prove true are the result of politics, not science. The actual tech is the fundamental concept of computing itself, manipulating data etc. But looking back now the amazing thing is how golly gosh darn *almost everybody* of these professional writers are *imagining/predicting/warning the future* ... and most of them missed the current IP craze.

My specialty evolved to studying the few stories that significantly predicted previously "out there" social developments to see how things turned out. In this case, on the 3D printing side, there is a short story somewhere in my library describing how outsourcing basically caught up to us and a flood of Russian black market import machines ignored the IP laws and then pummeled merchandising as we know it. (Darn it, find me on another day about Thomas Anvil's disturbing new relevance, but that story wasn't his.)

Stoic Joker:
Robin Hood was a hero to the masses. - Wrong is wrong. - Hack the Planet.

40hz:
The arc might be different than you think.
-TaoPhoenix (October 12, 2012, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

We'll see...

Never underestimate the power of corrupt government coupled with a zealous and creative legal system. (You'll find a lot of speculative fiction for that too!)

@Tao - Thx for bringing up that old term. (We must be of similar age.) I haven't said "speculative fiction" in years. But there was a time when I much preferred it over the more restrictive "science" fiction label. Still do now that I think about it. Hmm...gonna start using it again I think.

First time I heard the term was at college during a debate (at a party!) over what you'd classify Kieth Roberts marvelous story Pavane as. (It was fun to smart and in college back then!) Some said sci-fi - others said not sci-fi. Then someone suggested the term "speculative fiction" and everybody agreed and decided that was the missing classification that deserved to be more widely used. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version