ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2013

NANY 2013 Withdrawn: Track My Stuff!

(1/3) > >>

wraith808:
NANY 2013 Entry Information
Application NameTrack My Stuff!Short DescriptionTrack your items and who you lent them to.Supported OSesWindows XP/Vista/7Setup FileTBADescriptionI have a lot of xbox games because I don't trade them in because I play sporadically.  So when my son's friends come over, they want to borrow games.  I don't mind- but I also don't play enough to notice when they haven't returned them.  This was my solution.
FeaturesTracks your items, and who currently has them.  Customizable description fields, and image of item.ScreenshotsComing SoonInstallationWith .NET 4.0 installed, unzip application to location and run.UninstallingDelete application install location.
NotesRequires .NET 4.0.

I had to cancel this last year... but I will make it this year!

worstje:
Suuuuuuure. That's what I tell myself, too.

(Good luck. You'll need it! ;D)

TaoPhoenix:

I sometimes find a useful metric is "what is this app doing that a spreadsheet won't?"

A. List of Games.
B. Status1 = Who has them
C. Status2 = Who to yell at to get the game you care about back
D. Notes1
E. Notes2

wraith808:
^ That sounds rather... premature.  And a bit negative.  But, we'll see.

TaoPhoenix:
^ That sounds rather... premature.  And a bit negative.  But, we'll see.
-wraith808 (October 11, 2012, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, chalk another one up to the difficulties of tone on the net. But at a broader level, it slides toward the discussion of Apps vs Docs, not counting programming time. So for example if I ever got enough focus to do it, I'd have my list of books in my collection on a spreadsheet, because that is a base line of data to begin solving problems with. Then if it comes to "borrowed items", I'd just add a column "Borrowed".

So turning back towards a positive suggestion, I'd suggest you build in some features that spreadsheets would have trouble handling.

Another situation I've wondered about also from looking over previous NANY's from prior years is the whole "App-ification of data" theme, made worse from the iOS influence on the phone side. There are some cute little programs out there that do stuff, but then suddenly you realize there's no export feature and then your data gets stuck there in a  "Sunk Cost" situation where the more you use it (unhappily) the more you feel you need to keep at it, to justify the prior time you spent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version