ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2013

NANY 2013 Withdrawn: Track My Stuff!

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
Also, it would be a chance to do something simple in Play2 and Scala to get familiar with the stuff
-f0dder (October 12, 2012, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ooh... thanks for that!  I'm going to have to figure out something *else* to build to try those out! ;D
-wraith808 (October 12, 2012, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
:)

Scala looks very promising so far, even though it definitely isn't perfect. But it has a lot of the stuff I like from C#, and on a JVM... alternatives are good (though currently it's MS and whOracle, where are the alternatives to *those* abominations? :mad: ). Without doing measurements, I do think Scala will be performing worse than C#, but for a lot of applications the difference won't matter - but the mindset from it, both (pragmatic!) functional programming and immutable data matter so much more.

I'm currently doing this course, and it's pretty good - both content and the whole course platform :)

wraith808:
i know we're off topic (in my own topic to boot!), but have you played with Clojure at all?  That's what I'd planned to learn functional programming in, but knowing a bit of Java already was what made me sit up and take notice of your link, and I wondered if you had any opinions on the merits of the two.

f0dder:
i know we're off topic (in my own topic to boot!), but have you played with Clojure at all?  That's what I'd planned to learn functional programming in, but knowing a bit of Java already was what made me sit up and take notice of your link, and I wondered if you had any opinions on the merits of the two.-wraith808 (October 12, 2012, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, and I'm not going to touch it. Using a language that's not statically typed? Plain and simple: no.

If I were to pick up a language that's "noticeably" different from the ones I already know (Scala is still "within the comfort zone", and can be viewed as a Super-Java with some of the nice parts from C#), it would probably be F#.

kilele:

Scala looks very promising so far, even though it definitely isn't perfect. But it has a lot of the stuff I like from C#, and on a JVM...
-f0dder (October 12, 2012, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Any thoughts on Luajit ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version