ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Major ISPs to implement "Six strike" rule

<< < (3/6) > >>

Renegade:
Said it before, I'll say it again: Boycott.

The only way to win this battle is to reject big media's content and pursue alternatives to it - not try to find ways to get around their blockades and rules. Once they feel the hit to their pocketbook, their attitude (of necessity) will change.
-40hz (October 10, 2012, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

OH! OH! OH! OH! I know the answer to this one~! :D

Major ISPs to implement "Six strike" rule

Watch amazing documentaries and videos from authors that WANT you to share them and ENCOURAGE you to share them! There are lots out there!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TragedyandHopeMag?feature=CAQQwRs%3D

Lots of good viewing there.

I have gigs and gigs and gigs of videos like that.

While I don't always buy the film, I do quite often. I also pass them around for other people, just like they ASK me to.

Like seriously... these people put out some fantastic films and make so much available for FREE! Then POLITELY ASK YOU TO SHARE IT!

Other than a browser, a YouTube video downloader and a torrent client are all you need to stack up on enough videos to keep you busy for a llllooooonnnnnnggggg time. (Lots of good videos on Vimeo as well, and more on Blip.tv.)

A lot of the time you're encouraged to burn CDs or DVDs of videos and pass them around!

If you can't find anything interesting to watch for free, you're either not looking, or... well... let's just leave it at that. ;) No need for me to get all cynical now, eh? :D

40hz:
If you can't find anything interesting to watch for free, you're either not looking, or... well...
-Renegade (October 10, 2012, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

... you're just not looking. ;D :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
In one sense all this would go away if we had a grassroots movement to make stuff Creative Commons etc. Except corner cases, the minute you make something BY-SA the problem basically goes away. But part of the current partial victory of the copyright brigade is making CC seem somehow second class. I mean, there's Pro-copyleft/_____ sites out there, and on the bottom says "Copyright ____, All Rights Reserved". (Really?! Copyleft for everyone but you?!)

40hz:
I'm a great admirer of Creative Commons. But the simple truth is that CC is second class. Both under law and in fact.

Copyright exists under federal statute. CC doesn't have a similar status.

The creator of a work has automatic legal copyright under US law. The creator may choose not to assert his/her rights under copyright law. And he/she may also choose to license (which is not the same thing as copyright) their work under whatever model they wish. But simply putting a work under CC does not make the copyright legally "go away" or otherwise invalidate it.

A creator of a work holds copyright on their original works whether they want it or not. The courts have been very clear on that point. Interestingly, that issue first came up when somebody (who was allegedly in violation of a CC license) argued in court that putting a work under CC waived the author's right to copyright - and then went on to also argue that CC was not legally binding.

The court said (and it's since been affirmed in several other cases) that CC is legally binding and enforceable under contract law. And even if it weren't, the author still held legal copyright for the work under US statute regardless of any supplemental assignment or licensing arrangement they elected to release the work under. And furthermore, copyright was not something the author could legally waive even if they wanted to do so.

You create something - you've got copyright under federal law. Period. If you want to also put it under CC, that's your business.

Even putting something into public domain is really just irrevocably assigning the copyright to the general public for free use. It doesn't invalidate or negate the original copyright itself. The copyright only goes away when it expires under statute - which (in the USA) is generally the lifetime of the creator plus 70 years. Or when something gets put into public domain, in which case it 'expires' immediately.

8)

Renegade:
The copyright only goes away when it expires under statute - which (in the USA) is generally the lifetime of the creator plus 70 years. Or when something gets put into public domain, in which case it 'expires' immediately.
-40hz (October 10, 2012, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought it was "How old is Mickey Mouse? Add 50 years to that." ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version