ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Major ISPs to implement "Six strike" rule

(1/6) > >>

wraith808:
The USA's major internet service providers by year’s end will institute a so-called six-strikes plan, the “Copyright Alert System” initiative backed by the Obama administration and pushed by Hollywood and the major record labels to disrupt and possibly terminate internet access for online copyright scofflaws.

The plan, now four years in the making, includes participation by AT&T, Cablevision Systems, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon. After four offenses, the historic plan calls for these residential internet providers to initiate so-called “mitigation measures” (.pdf) that might include reducing internet speeds and redirecting a subscriber’s service to an “educational” landing page about infringement.

If you download a lot through torrents, you might want to consider getting an VPN account.  TorrentFreak has a good article on which VPN hosts that do not track ther users

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

More information (where I borrowed most of this post from:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/10/isp-file-sharing-monitoring/

Renegade:
I'll vouch for Privacy.io. Very good. I've been using it for quite a while, and it's been very good. The OpenVPN option is very nice as well. (If anyone wants to use it, please use my referral link here. I could use a free month or whatever they have. :) I posted a bit on VPNs here.) I recommended Privacy.io to a friend who is using it now, and he's similarly had no problems. You will have a slow down in speeds, but that is simply the nature of using a VPN. (I've used others as well, and Privacy.io is at the top of my list of the ones I've used.)

The Torrent Freak link there is excellent. Great article.

As for this 6-strike business... sigh... I wish the MAFIAA would just get with the program and pull their asses out of the last century.

wraith808:
How much of a slowdown is it?  One of the major reasons I haven't worried about it (and I don't torrent either, so not a big deal there).  I just hear about the false positives, and that's the major reason I'm looking (in addition to being able to connect to home while I'm out).

TaoPhoenix:
How much of a slowdown is it?  One of the major reasons I haven't worried about it (and I don't torrent either, so not a big deal there).  I just hear about the false positives, and that's the major reason I'm looking (in addition to being able to connect to home while I'm out).
-wraith808 (October 09, 2012, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I look at news Combo style. Combine this with that PA trial where the judge "wants to know if IP = person". Cue the cynicism, if they manage another gamey trial, even going to youtube could become dangerous because you are viewing "unauthorized content". (Pay no attention to the secret accounts uploading that content.)

Renegade:
It's not too bad. It depends on a lot of factors, so there's no real number that I can give you.

From SpeedTest.net:

With VPN:
Down: 1.61 Mbps
Up: 0.54 Mbps

Without VPN:
Down: 7.66 Mbps
Up: 0.83 Mbps

Now, a 7.66 Mbps speed is total bullshit. I NEVER see anything remotely that fast. At BEST, I've seen 1.2 Mbps or so. Usually less. The connection here is pretty sad.

But, it gives a ballpark. The UP speed is probably a better indicator.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version