ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linux Distro features matrix?

<< < (2/4) > >>

mahesh2k:
Other than distrowatch matrix. I don't know if there is feature specific comparison. If you can get anything to work on say fedora, you can get it on debian, ubuntu or any other distro. Just need to compile it from source or use the software that does the compiling from source for you. (For example gdebi etc). Ubuntu, elementary, Suse and Fedora are trying to compete with mainstream OS like Win and Mac so maybe you should checkout what these linux distros offer, If you're looking for comparison on that front.

justice:
Look at the distros with the largest community as you will find the most help with any problems, unless you have a particular need that you are already aware off.
Community > features.

superboyac:
oh Yeah...I keep forgetting that I don't know the difference between a desktop environment and a distro.  Time to look that up...

justice:
desktop environment is the environment your desktop loads in (unity, gnome, kde). Distro is the distribution which is everything that is distributed towards you when you install an OS.

superboyac:
First, after reading a few things on distrowatch, I'm leaning towards trying out Debian.  I like its description the best.

I still have a little misunderstanding:
when it comes to software, what determines if it's ready to go for a certain distro?  the distro itself, or the desktop environment?  I'm confused because desktop environments to me sound like they are just "skins" for the OS.  But there seems to be more to it than that...like the desktop environment determines to a degree which software you can run or something, which I always thought was completely a distro dependant issue.  Basically, if there's anything more to a desktop environment other than it just being a skin, please point that out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version