ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New captcha system uses empathy to block bots (and sociopaths)

(1/4) > >>

app103:
An activist group called Civil Rights Defenders has developed a new Captcha system to keep spambots out and inform users of global civil rights issues.

Instead of visually decoding an image of distorted letters, the user has to take a stand regarding facts about human rights. Depending on whether the described situation is positively or negatively charged, the CAPTHA generates three random words from a database. These words describe positive and negative emotions. The user selects the word that best matches how they feel about the situation, and writes the word in the CAPTCHA. Only one answer is correct, the answer showing compassion and empathy.
--- End quote ---

An API and a PHP library are available.

http://captcha.civilrightsdefenders.org/

app103:
This would be really easy for bots to defeat...no empathy needed, only simple logic required. No need to even analyze the question. Focus only on the answer choices.... Which one doesn't belong? Which is unlike the others? That's the correct answer.

Just need a database of words that are scored as either positive or negative. When hit with 2 positive words and 1 negative, the negative word is the correct answer. When hit with 2 negatives and a positive, the positive is the correct answer.

TaoPhoenix:
Nice analysis App, I was thinking similar kinds of things. With a little work you could even do it with actual language processing. The bot would ignore the "smoke" (____ ____ from ____ ____  thinks that ...)

Then you could process about 5 words and then examine the answers.

vlastimil:
This captcha can also be very problematic for people, who are not fluent in English. But, I guess, we can always try the adjectives one by one (if we decipher the instructions) and so can the bots.

My opinion remains that captchas are unnecessary and there are better ways to stop robots.

iphigenie:
Yes, this will fail for foreigners, people with learning disabilities, and the words are hard to read even for me.

Which considering who had done this is a little disappointing. We're obviously all US high school graduates to them

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version