ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

MAME

(1/3) > >>

SQUIDMAN:
Don't Know if anyone uses MAME, but I'm pretty old school, and still get my arcade fix every once in a while. I have about every rom there is, if you really need or want one I can look to see I have it. Must know it's (roms name) name. Except for the RAIDEN series I am not sure what rom runs what game, so let me know. or just drop a line if you play :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
The last time I used MAME was before these copyright gorillas really got up to full speed. The only game I really cared about was Ataxx, a little memory from my college days, and that program is so far into grey abandonware it is almost officially public domain.

SQUIDMAN:
MAME itself isn't copyrighted, mostly the roms, don't know why almost no one uses them. Will look for this game, Ataxx, since it doesn't ring a bell just to see
what it is? :Thmbsup: Some how I just like playing these arcade games from the time when quarters were kings.

TaoPhoenix:
MAME itself isn't copyrighted, mostly the roms, don't know why almost no one uses them. Will look for this game, Ataxx, since it doesn't ring a bell just to see
what it is? :Thmbsup: Some how I just like playing these arcade games from the time when quarters were kings.
-SQUIDMAN (October 06, 2012, 12:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, that's sorta the problem, Mame is like "hardware", it's nice to have a framework and all, but the roms are pretty clearly copyrighted stuff, cue all the juicy new copyright laws.

Ataxx is like a game called Othello that involves turning your opponent's markers into your own, back and forth. So the field of influence changes immensely.

This is a decent intro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7x0i_4Q47M

The killer innovation at the time was that it uses a ranking system very much like the tournament chess world. And from the tiny bit of info I have, if you dig up a chessplayer with a ranking, their ataxx rating will be slightly close to the guy's chess rating.

Edit: I don't really agree with his strategy comments, so if anyone really gets hooked on this game dig me up and we can thrash around a little. The point is the opponents are rating-graded and he skipped the two easy ones at the low levels that most people practice on.

Edit: The keyboard controls on this game for MAME always bothered me. It's something like Tab to get past the data screen, 5 to add more coins, 1 to select first player to play, and left control as the key action push button. (The mouse part is a little fast but you can slow that down if you like, I am being lazy today. )

TaoPhoenix:
This is me beating Mushman, which is about the limits of my abilities.

The basic idea is that Mushman jumps a little too much, so you can sweep behind the "loose holes" and collect points when he leaves weaknesses.

The thing about the opponents getting stronger per rating is the strategy you used on the prev opponent doesn't work on the next one up. For example, any smart play beats Colony, you have to be a little awake to beat Droolman, and by Mushman you need a few serious concepts. Prob is, Mushy is all Jumpy, while Gorgon and Cephalo take smaller moves but they do Damage Control. I might have beaten Gorgon once, but no promises, that level is about where my talents end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version