ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Path too long utilities supere barrier

<< < (4/5) > >>

f0dder:
Heh, spammer #2 removed from the thread before I could quote it - but still, to keep an account of the pattern:
Actually, People who manage large files and download mostly through the web may find the redacted very useful and very convenient in simplifying file management and file error messages resolution. redacted  is a fast, efficient yet simple software that anyone can use at any time at all. Nice Day..
--- End quote ---

Interesting that a simple utility like this not only has such an insane price point, but also pay spammers to turf forums. MilesAhead, you really ought to polish up your TPLD mod and get mouser to set up a dedicated page to it and fight those spambags :D

katykaty:
What's wrong with just setting up a mapped network drive that points deep enough down into the folder structure?

MilesAhead:
MilesAhead, you really ought to polish up your TPLD mod and get mouser to set up a dedicated page to it and fight those spambags
-f0dder (October 12, 2012, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh heh. Now I feel guilty taking the credit.  The original author on sourceforge did all the work. I just added "\?\" prefix onto the FindFirstFile call.  Windows does have its quirks. I just realized many of my 32 bit unicode programs will write an ini file consisting of only a BOM when run under Wow64 due to quirks in WritePrivateProfileString. Now I'm engaging in the silly exercise of creating a dummy text file, then moving it to the ini file since .txt files seem to be created in ANSI mode.  Win 3.1 is still not dead!

f0dder:
What's wrong with just setting up a mapped network drive that points deep enough down into the folder structure?-katykaty (October 12, 2012, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably not possible, at least with the standard commandline tools (since they don't use the \\?\ prefix, and are limited to MAX_PATH).

But if the APIs that subst uses support the \\?\ prefixing, one could make a tool for it. Interesting idea!

MilesAhead:
Looks like programs that call CreateFileW and use the prefix can create paths up to 32767. That's probably where things get sticky. Nice long temp file name in a deep folder, and Explorer chokes right away.

CreateFile API

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version