ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Path too long utilities supere barrier

(1/5) > >>

Contro:
Path too long utilities supere barrier

I would like to know free utilities to supere the barrier of 256 characters :
Windows Explorer/FAR would fail to delete/copy/rename any pathname longer than 256 characters....

It is possible ?

Best Regards
 :-*

f0dder:
It is possible ?-Contro (October 02, 2012, 05:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes and no.

As I understand it, technically NTFS supports 255 UTF-16 codepoints for each path/file name part, with the NT kernel imposing a total limit of 32767 UTF-16 codepoints for a full file path.

HOWEVER, every standard piece of userland software out there is compiled with the Windows SDK headers and it's MAX_PATH constant of 260 characters - with three characters for the "C:\" (or whatever partition) and one for the NUL terminator, that leaves 256 characters for the full path (and again, a max of 255 for any single part).

While you can theoretically create longer names, expect "everything" to crash and burn, or at least not be able to access the files :)

Contro:
But I think exist or seen a lot of utilities for this purpose.
Sometimes goes when the files we received inside folders. We import a organization folder with files inside and we have this problem.
So I would a soft for this purpose. An utility.

Is it possible ?

Best Regards

f0dder:
Sometimes goes when the files we received inside folders.-Contro (October 02, 2012, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
I kind of doubt it - I'm pretty sure explorer has the MAX_PATH limitation as well, and wouldn't be able to browse inside such folders.

It's technically possible, yes, but considering how little software supports such long paths, and how much would break, I can't see it being useful :)

Contro:
But there are utilities like this :
http://pathtoodeep.com/

I want a free one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version