ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (114/200) > >>

40hz:
You can regulate what PEOPLE do. But the Bitcoin cat is out of the bag.

Bitcoin is FLOSS software. Can anyone regulate Apache or Linux?
-Renegade (July 12, 2014, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hate to say it, but they most certainly can. FLOSS is not immune to government interference and regulation. Both directly and (more insidiously) indirectly. (see: China, Russia, N. Korea, New Zealand, Australia, the USA, ...)

Just like that other great piece of technology that was supposed to liberate us all and serve as the absolute check on the power government: the Internet.

The intelligence agencies of the world are still laughing themselves to silly over that one.

Renegade:
You can regulate what PEOPLE do. But the Bitcoin cat is out of the bag.

Bitcoin is FLOSS software. Can anyone regulate Apache or Linux?
-Renegade (July 12, 2014, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hate to say it, but they most certainly can. FLOSS is not immune to government interference and regulation. Both directly and (more insidiously) indirectly. (see: China, Russia, N. Korea, New Zealand, Australia, the USA, ...)

Just like that other great piece of technology that was supposed to liberate us all and serve as the absolute check on the power government: the Internet.

The intelligence agencies of the world are still laughing themselves to silly over that one.
-40hz (July 12, 2014, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're not describing regulation there, unless you mean outside of the judicial sense and instead mean the broader concept (control). But that's not what we were talking about -- we were talking about regulation in the judicial sense.

What you've described would be better phrased as "subverted".

Can governments regulate (in the judicial sense)? No. They can't. That ship has sailed. (See here and here for a couple examples of why that is.)

It just ain't gonna happen. Period.

Will they regulate? YES! BUT. NOT. BITCOIN!

They will regulate HUMAN BEHAVIOUR. They can do that. They can say what you can do with BTC and what you can't do with it.

But they sure as guns ain't gonna crack open vi and gcc. They can't. It's a decentralised network!!! Everyone else needs to agree, and that ain't gonna happen.

Can governments interfere/subvert? Of course.

tl;dr - Regulate (judicial sense) = not possible, Subvert/interfere = very possible.

Renegade:
He also brew up a helluva fine Ginger Ale! (Thanks for the recipe and suggestions btw!) :Thmbsup:
-40hz (July 12, 2014, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Give 'er a shot & tell me what you think. Expect it to be dry though. I actually picked up some ale and champagne yeasts to give it another shot with a more polished approach. :)

40hz:
He also brew up a helluva fine Ginger Ale! (Thanks for the recipe and suggestions btw!) :Thmbsup:
-40hz (July 12, 2014, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Give 'er a shot & tell me what you think. Expect it to be dry though. I actually picked up some ale and champagne yeasts to give it another shot with a more polished approach. :)
-Renegade (July 12, 2014, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Trying it with a very nice pale ale yeast I've had some very good luck with in the past. S/B interesting to see how it comes out.

Also thinking of trying for a honey-ginger mead...hmm...

Maybe we should start a separate homebrew thread for this?

Stoic Joker:

The intelligence agencies of the world are still laughing themselves to silly over that one.-40hz (July 12, 2014, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Are they? I'm not so sure. Yes, they have done a fine job of playing catch-up ... But they're now where near the front of the pack of who control the information flow. Case in point, we're currently two from the USA nobodies, that are having a conversation with a guy in Australia, while folks from all over the planet watch and can chime in ... That's hardly restrictive.

Now yes, yes, yes ... I'm sure there are plenty of malevolent bits of garbage that are also cataloging the discussion in some subterranean bunker for the expressed purpose of "stamping-out-evil" or some other brand of stunning bullshit. But the point is the tightly spin controlled to the point of being Spoon Feed Crap by the MSM TPTB had on people is a 50s era thing of the past ... Because the truth really is out there to be had by anyone with the compunction to do a Google search.

Remember the concept of the self fulfilling prophecy, and add to that the knowledge that no one really has any power over you unless you give it to them. If we continuously function solely based on the assumption that TPTB have total control over everything ... Then they very soon really will. And we will all die very quietly whenever and wherever we are told too.

As a byproduct of the 70s, I saw Screw the Man! ...And I always will.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version