ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (109/200) > >>

Renegade:
@40hz - We're not going to see eye-to-eye on a lot of these things.

Mt. Gox, AFAIK was shut down because DHS filed for "probable cause" that Mt. Gox was transferring money illegally.
-40hz (July 01, 2014, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your information is bad.

I do understand more about what you mean about Discordianism from one of your posts above.

I'm going to drop it there. Our world views are simply far too different for this conversation to go anywhere.

40hz:
^I'm going off the writeup on ArsTechnica so if I'm misinformed I guess I'm in good company at least.

Also sorry if you don't want to chat with me any more about this.

I get that same response from a lot of people I know - although most of them seem to be self-professed "conservatives - and damn proud of it" types.

Guess the futher out on the distribution curve things get, the more they start acting and sounding the same.

Whoulda thunk? :)

Renegade:
Also sorry if you don't want to chat with me any more about this.

I get that same response from a lot of people I know - although most of them seem to be self-professed "conservatives - and damn proud of it" types.

Guess the futher out on the distribution curve things get, the more they start acting and sounding the same.

Whoulda thunk? :)
-40hz (July 01, 2014, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not it. (And I certainly wouldn't call myself "conservative".)

It's stuff like this:

There's really nothing but us behaving badly towards each other. More often than not for no reason other than habit - and because "We can!"
-40hz (July 01, 2014, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's "Lord of the Flies"-ish and seems to be deeply pessimistic. "People are inherently bad/evil, and always will be." We can always find something horrible, but we are also immersed in a lot of good that we all too often become blind to.

An excellent example of people being decent human beings is from a few months ago when the war-mongers were screaming to invade Syria, but people everywhere screamed out their opposition, and the death dealers were sent back to their plotting rooms in frustration. It might not happen very often, and probably doesn't happen nearly enough, but TPTB still need enough approval or complacency to "behave badly". Your average person on the street simply doesn't behave badly like that. The vast majority of people are well-intentioned.

So, I'm just not sure that we'll do anything more than come back with different "buts" and always miss the underlying premises that are way off topic here.

40hz:
By "us" I simply meant "people" in the collective sense.

Not all people. Just "people."

And the jury is out with regard to intrinsic "human nature" AFAIC.

In my case, I don't think in terms like "intrinsic nature." Mainly because I don' t know what "intrinsic" means in that context. I do, however, see behavioral tendencies that are most likely conditioned - although the jury is still out on the "conditioned" part too. And people do what they do.

I don't know why you'd characterize that as being pessimistic. I'd consider it more a behaviorist viewpoint than anything else. But so be it.

And you're right. This is all somewhat OT anyway.. :)

barney:
The vast majority of people are well-intentioned.
-Renegade (July 01, 2014, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
But mostly inactive.This is all somewhat OT anyway
-40hz (July 02, 2014, 12:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Seems to be begging the question.  After all, this thread - topic statement notwithstanding - is about folk accepting/following new things/trends.

At any rate, the back-and-forth tween the two (2) of you is certainly entertaining, thought-provoking, and creative.  The thought processes as displayed/evinced certainly require a bit of cogitation from the rest of us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version