ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (105/200) > >>

Renegade:
For a good laugh:

Better to start here:

http://youtu.be/lEWdPe6uACg?t=35m20s

But if you only have 10 seconds and not 30 seconds, start here:

http://youtu.be/lEWdPe6uACg?t=35m53s

;D

Renegade:
I was going to post this in the Basement where we have an actual discussion, though slow. But, decided to post it here as it's simply too good:

https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/06/19/mining/

It's long, so I'll only paste the really good part:

The second approach is somewhat different: create a mechanism for generating new hash functions, and make the space of functions that it generates so large that the kind of computer best suited to processing them is by definition completely generalized, ie. a CPU. This approach gets close to being “provably ASIC resistant” and thus more future-proof, rather than focusing on specific aspects like memory, but it too is imperfect; there will always be at least some parts of a CPU that will prove to be extraneous in such an algorithm and can be removed for efficiency. However, the quest is not for perfect ASIC resistance; rather, the challenge is to achieve what we can call “economic ASIC resistance” – building an ASIC should not be worth it.
--- End quote ---

If you understand that, it's damn good. If you don't understand it, it's an excellent example of using a layer of abstraction to solve a difficult problem.

Mark0:
Speaking of Bitcoin... If you don't know it already, I recommend checking out PurseIO (no referral!) / PurseIO (with referral!).

It provide two services:
[*]A way to spend bitcoins on Amazon, with an incentive/discount
[*]A way for who haven't bitcoins to acquire them, using a familiar environment (Amazon!), paying with a CC, for a premium
[/list]

It's basically a marketplace for Amazon whishlists, and it works perfectly.
You create a wishlist on Amazon, copy&paste the link to create an offer on PurseIO, and select the markup that will be your discount, and put the corresponding bitcoins in escrow. It takes 2 minutes.
Then if/when someone find the price & markup reasonable, they'll buy the item from Amazon for you. When you'll receive it and confirm, the bitcoins will be released.

I just tried some days ago with something small (a Chromecast), with a 16% discount, and it all went perfectly.
No need to wait for Amazon to accept bitcoins!  ;D

P.S. PurseIO just activated a referral program, so I added a link with it as well. :D

Renegade:
Speaking of Bitcoin... If you don't know it already, I recommend checking out PurseIO (no referral!).

It provide two services:
[*]A way to spend bitcoins on Amazon, with an incentive/discount
[*]A way for who haven't bitcoins to acquire them, using a familiar environment (Amazon!), paying with a CC, for a premium
[/list]

It's basically a marketplace for Amazon whishlists, and it works perfectly.
You create a wishlist on Amazon, copy&paste the link to create an offer on PurseIO, and select the markup that will be your discount, and put the corresponding bitcoins in escrow. It takes 2 minutes.
Then if/when someone find the price & markup reasonable, they'll buy the item from Amazon for you. When you'll receive it and confirm, the bitcoins will be released.

I just tried some days ago with something small (a Chromecast), with a 16% discount, and it all went perfectly.
No need to wait for Amazon to accept bitcoins!  ;D

-Mark0 (June 30, 2014, 04:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice!

People have been screaming for Amazon to accept BTC, so these fellows might just help push that a long a bit.

40hz:
Actually, I'm amazed governments weren't in on this from day one. What an ideal way to fund covert activities and black ops. Or handle bribes campaign contributions. They've turned a blind eye toward (or at the very least tolerated) numbered Swiss bank accounts, numerous Istituto per le Opere di Religione shenanigans, and offshore banks for that very reason. So much easier to transact with than blood diamonds too.

Maybe these "democratic" governments need to rethink their position on crypto-currencies. Ya think? :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version