ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (103/200) > >>

tomos:
From Arizona's link:
When it froze withdrawals earlier this month, the company cited a software bug that allowed people to "use the Bitcoin network to alter transaction details to make it seem like a sending of bitcoins to a bitcoin wallet did not occur when in fact it did occur."

"The problem we have identified is not limited to MtGox, and affects all transactions where Bitcoins are being sent to a third party," Mt. Gox added in a statement on its website.
--- End quote ---

It will be very interesting to hear exactly what happened - I presume it will come out as some stage.

You were saying...?
-Arizona Hot (February 25, 2014, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
and you are saying ... ? :P

if the powers that be really wanted to hurt Bitcoin, right now all they'd need to do is shrug and say "Oh well!" about the theft - and decline to get involved or open an investigation...Looks like Japan has already decided to do exactly that.

Consider: It's private and anonymous by design. There's no transaction trails. No provable ownership of accounts. No direct path of responsibility. No insurance or regulatory requirements in place. No laws broken...so where could the regulators or police possibly step in to assist?-40hz (February 25, 2014, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

As you say, I dont think there's much that they can do anyway.
I dont see regulation or government backing as a saviour of Bitcoin. I think the governments dont know how to regulate Bitcoin itself - okay, the exchanges could be regulated as you say. Me, I'd like to see it succeeding in spite of no government regulation or backing.

I dont have any Bitcoin -- but if I did -- from what I've read and listened to (e.g. Andreas Antonopolous) I would not be using an exchange anyway - I'd be keeping my Bitcoin offline (I dont even have a clue how to do that but apparently there are ways). But going back to the quote at the top of the post, this might even not be enough.

xtabber:
The economist Nouriel Roubini tweeted the following analysis of Bitcoin this past weekend:

Apart from a base 4 criminal activities, Bitcoin is not a currency as it is not a unit of account or a means of payments or store of value
Bitcoin is not a unit of account as no price of goods and services is set in Bitcoin unit nor it ever will. So it isn't a currency
Bitcoin isn't means of payment as few transactions in Bitcoin. And given its volatility all who accept it convert it right back into $/€/¥
Bitcoin isn't a store of value as little wealth is in Bitcoin and no assets in it. Also given price volatility it is a lousy store of value
So Bitcoin isn't a currency. It is btw a Ponzi game and a conduit for criminal/illegal activities. And it isn't safe given hacking of it.

Pretty much my own feelings on the topic.

wraith808:
Bitcoin is not a unit of account as no price of goods and services is set in Bitcoin unit nor it ever will.

--- End quote ---

Wrong.  There are several legitimate businesses that accept it as a form of tender.  And there are more than a few that accept only bitcoin.

And given its volatility all who accept it convert it right back into $/€/¥

--- End quote ---

That's patently incorrect.

And it isn't safe given hacking of it.

--- End quote ---

Repeat after me.  Bitcoin has not been hacked.  There have been no instances of Bitcoin itself being hacked.  The exchanges and markets have been hacked, yes.  But that's a problem for people who didn't store their funds safely.  It's like saying that the dollar isn't safe because some people had their funds stolen from/by an investment firm.

I'm not a bitcoin apologist.  As with any currency it has upsides and downsides.  You have to make a risk assessment and go in with your blinders off.  But I hate so called experts spreading FUD with a stamp of their expertise.  I hate that on anything, truth be told.

Deal in the unadulterated facts, and if you don't know the facts and aren't willing to do research on it, then you aren't qualified to weigh in.

tomos:
I'm not a bitcoin apologist.  As with any currency it has upsides and downsides.  You have to make a risk assessment and go in with your blinders off.  But I hate so called experts spreading FUD with a stamp of their expertise.  I hate that on anything, truth be told.
-wraith808 (March 13, 2014, 12:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

a big plus one here - on all counts (I'm also *not* a bitcoin apologist).

That was a very lame 'analysis' (by Nouriel Roubini)...

drummerjdb:
Forgive me for not having the time to search through 21 pages to see if this has been asked before,  But i've been putting Dr.Windows on friends/family's machines for about 6 years now as well as using screenshot captor. 

I think with the amount of people I've told about Donationcoder.com in this time that would suffice as a small donation but I am curious as to why there is no bitcoin address listed to be able to donate in bitcoin? :tellme: 

Because screw paypal,visa,mastercard!!!   :P

Maybe you guys could just create an account at coinbase.com, or any of the other places people wanting to donate would be able to send you some btc or alts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version