ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (79/200) > >>

wraith808:
^ Oh, I wasn't implying that it *was* malware in and of itself; just like a lot of other programs that get labeled as such, it's in the use.  And on that point, when someone does install a miner on your machine using your CPU to make money, that use of it becomes malware.  And it's interesting in this fact.  Just like the other forms of malware which are ways to get money (by taking your credit card and bank numbers, or encrypting your files so you can be held for ransom), this is worthy of reporting/being informed of for that very reason.  It's just we're keeping bitcoin confined to one thread, so I did that with this.  Perhaps I shouldn't have so it will get a wider audience, but ...

Renegade:
^ Oh, I wasn't implying that it *was* malware in and of itself; just like a lot of other programs that get labeled as such, it's in the use.  And on that point, when someone does install a miner on your machine using your CPU to make money, that use of it becomes malware.  And it's interesting in this fact.  Just like the other forms of malware which are ways to get money (by taking your credit card and bank numbers, or encrypting your files so you can be held for ransom), this is worthy of reporting/being informed of for that very reason.  It's just we're keeping bitcoin confined to one thread, so I did that with this.  Perhaps I shouldn't have so it will get a wider audience, but ...
-wraith808 (December 02, 2013, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't think that you were implying that. The article was.

But even then, when you download free software from somewhere, especially if it's not been broadly vetted, you do need to read the license. Now, the wording in some is rather terse or obtuse, but it's still "fair warning". If you're not paying for the product... you are the product. Or your CPU/GPU... It's not malware - it's just pretty stupid to install software that's going to max out your machine, especially when you've been warned. Sure it's a crappy deal for the person installing it, but that doesn't make it malware. These terms get thrown around too easily sometimes.

I just have little sympathy for people that install everything and anything then whine about it.

Stoic Joker:
But even then, when you download free software from somewhere, especially if it's not been broadly vetted, you do need to read the license. Now, the wording in some is rather terse or obtuse, but it's still "fair warning".-Renegade (December 02, 2013, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Legalese is never to be construed as fair anything, and I'll be damned if I'll ever waste an entire second of my life reading that level of convoluted bullshit. I simply don't care what someone's vampiric lawyers thinks is a clever way of phrasing their excuses for trying to rape me. I shred any piece of software I use to be sure it actually does do precisely what I feel it is to be doing.

I just have little sympathy for people that install everything and anything then whine about it.-Renegade (December 02, 2013, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

:D Me either ... I just have a unique way of enforcing what's allowed on my computer. ;)

Renegade:
But even then, when you download free software from somewhere, especially if it's not been broadly vetted, you do need to read the license. Now, the wording in some is rather terse or obtuse, but it's still "fair warning".-Renegade (December 02, 2013, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Legalese is never to be construed as fair anything, and I'll be damned if I'll ever waste an entire second of my life reading that level of convoluted bullshit. I simply don't care what someone's vampiric lawyers thinks is a clever way of phrasing their excuses for trying to rape me. I shred any piece of software I use to be sure it actually does do precisely what I feel it is to be doing.
-Stoic Joker (December 02, 2013, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Legalese is total douchebaggery. No argument there.

I just have little sympathy for people that install everything and anything then whine about it.-Renegade (December 02, 2013, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

:D Me either ... I just have a unique way of enforcing what's allowed on my computer. ;)
-Stoic Joker (December 02, 2013, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

My solution is to just not install anything unless I'm pretty damn sure about it.

I don't see this as much different than the whole toolbar thing. It comes with extra crap. I suppose that's one of the reasons that I like OpenCandy - they're very open and up front about what they do. It's hard to be more open than they are.

Arizona Hot:

Kid holding Send Bitcoin sign on ESPN GameDay gets $24K in donations

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version