ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (77/200) > >>

Renegade:
The site was a bank - not a wallet. Securing your bitcoins is simple. If you want to know more, post over at http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/ or http://bitcointalk.org/ and someone can explain why.
-Renegade (November 08, 2013, 08:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Been there, done that.  Security is still an issue, always will be for anything online.  There's an old saying to the effect that what Man can devise, Man can destroy.  Anything online is vulnerable to a sufficiently skilled person.  Denial of that does not make it untrue.  I can lose my wallet by any number of physical means, but that is, in most cases, carelessness on my part, a lack of physical security - basically my fault, I failed to secure it properly in a physical manner.  I do not have that security option online.  Others might, but I ain't that bright.
-barney (November 08, 2013, 11:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can have bitcoins offline. It's called "cold storage". However, that presupposes the concept of private property and that something can belong to you instead of belonging to the collective, which is inherently violent and the root of all evil. I've seen the light about how bitcoins are evil and how trying to make a living on your own as opposed to relying on the state is a sin. So I can't tell you anymore about it, otherwise I'd be undermining the communist revolution and would have to die. You'll need to ask elsewhere about "cold storage", but you'll be committing a sin.

tomos:
^ :huh:
maybe barney knows what you're on about there Ren, but I sure dont :D :P
No worries...

@barney, nothing wrong with looking for loopholes, but I get the impression you're looking for loopholes *because* you are against bitcoin (or the concept) for some reason? It is true what you say "Anything online is vulnerable to a sufficiently skilled person".
I only recently started using online banking, and I'm not particularly impressed with the bank's online security. It's up to me now, whether I continue with it. I'll probably let it drift, but if I ever got caught out (there is a Visa debit card associated with the account) I could really be kicking myself. I've heard that if a debit card get's ripped off, you have to pay it yourself, but I dont know -again, it's up to me to research that - but you know the way: it's on my list... This is making me rethink the whole thing lol.

So yeah, if you want to buy Bitcoin, you'd surely want to research first. And make an informed decision. And as you say, if you think it's not safe, dont buy in. I guess due to Bitcoins nature - if they can steal it, IIUC, it's gone - due to that, one would like to be extra sure about it. Online banking might not be quite so unsafe (?), but FWIW, mine aint inspiring me ;-)

barney:
@barney, nothing wrong with looking for loopholes, but I get the impression you're looking for loopholes *because* you are against bitcoin (or the concept) for some reason?
-tomos (November 09, 2013, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Neither for nor against.  But what I've read to date does not encourage me to participate.  In fact, much of what I've read seems very E-Trade-ish.  My primary concern is the security aspect, but I'm also a bit dubious about the constant growth in value:  at some point that will have to diminish or cease.  Of course, my knowledge of economics may be faulty in this arena  :-\, but I have to work with what [I think] I know  :o.

Arizona Hot:
Today marks another notch in the belt for Bitcoin believers.

The University of Nicosia in Cyprus has become the first accredited university to accept Bitcoin for payment of tuition and associated fees, it announced in a statement today.

It’s been a good week for Bitcoin. Earlier this week, a Subway franchisee started accepting Bitcoin as payment for sandwiches. And last week, Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and investors launched an accelerator focusing specifically on the digital currency.

--- End quote ---

Another Score for Bitcoin You Can Now Use It to Pay for College

Arizona Hot:
LONDON -- An IT worker threw out a computer hard drive without realizing it contained $7.5 million worth of the digital currency Bitcoin.

The device is now buried somewhere in a vast landfill site near the home of owner James Howells -- who only realized his mistake when it was too late.
--- End quote ---

Can you feel his pain?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version