ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (52/200) > >>

40hz:
While they may regulate bitcoin, they can't police every single person for every transaction,
-Renegade (August 09, 2013, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

From recent news reports there's every good indication that they actually might be able to do just that.

That said, they don't need to come down on individuals. All they have to do is cripple the exchanges. Because there's no getting around  the need for some type of exchange mechanism to make it work.

Most people also aren't so motivated about something that they're willing to become criminals to show their support of it. True, what constitutes "criminal" is in the eye of the beholder - or drafter of the law in this particular context. But even so, most people aren't willing to go through their entire lives with a 'siege mentality.' We don't wish to engage in protracted wars - either the shooting kind, or the the moral variety. The victory conditions need to be achievable within a relatively short time frame in order to get broad public buy-in.

Easiest thing to do to torpedo Bitcoin would be to just issue a law forbidding the use or exchange (along with facilitating same) of any unregistered currency or currency equivalent.

Once that's done, lean on the ISPs and search engines (who are largely cooperative anyway) to clamp down on access to  the exchanges.

And finally, have government just go in scoop or nuke the data (funds) whenever they find any. Law enforcement has learned that two of the most effective tools in the battle with so-called wrongdoers are confiscation and forfeiture. Cash is the lifeblood of most human activities. When "crime doesn't pay" (or can be made not to) it usually stops being committed.

People who loose the wallets that way have no recourse. You're out the money - and likely ID-ed in the process. And then what are you going to do? File a complaint in court? That's the equivalent of saying: "I want to report a theft. I had $5k worth of crack hidden in my house...and I just got robbed!"

That's the problem with operating outside the law. You're completely on your own - and competing on a field where the biggest thugs will almost always win.

bitcoin can be a good tool to help undermine the power of the all-powerful state.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's good to have a dream... ;) :)

Renegade:
^^

For the PSA, you're probably right. But they don't have infinite power. Some countries still have the shadows of the vestiges of principles. Some just like to buck the PSA when they can.

I'm still not going to give up hope.

40hz:
Never abandon hope. :Thmbsup:

But:

When it all goes south and you're faced with overwhelming odds against, do what the pros do: fold the 'op' and bugger out of there pronto. Next: regroup. Then sneak up and hit them from behind while they're still laughing about it.

There's plenty of things you can lose your freedom or life over. Nothing is easier than throwing yourself on the nearest sword. But the last thing the world needs right now is another dead hero. So pick your venues. Always make it worth the price that's paid.
 ;)

Renegade:
Quit? Like this?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-08-09/americans-giving-up-passports-jump-sixfold-as-tougher-rules-loom
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-08/americans-renouncing-citizenship-surge-66

???

They're even making quitting hard! :P

Tinman57:

It's pretty damned bad when a country tries to trap rich people into staying in the U.S.  But if your in Germany and become a German citizen, I think it would be pretty hard for the U.S. to collect a tax on you when you turn in your pass-port and expatriate yourself.  I don't think Germany or any other country would allow the U.S. to extradite one of it's own citizens over their U.S. taxes.  But of course, I could be wrong.... 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version