ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (111/200) > >>

40hz:
That has got to be one of the more annoying webpages I have ever visited.

Do yourself a favor and just download and read their whitepaper which is a very interesting read.

And...e-hem! Linux beta "real soon now" but Windows version is available right out the door?

How do you operate truly a secure and anonymized exchange when you're allowing a closed and proprietary OS (with known backdoors) for a client into the chain? Dunno...it's all only as good as the weakest link. Learn about by all means - but proceed with caution. (Look at Tor. :redface:)

40hz:
Mt. Gox, AFAIK was shut down because DHS filed for "probable cause" that Mt. Gox was transferring money illegally.
-40hz (July 01, 2014, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your information is bad.

-Renegade (July 01, 2014, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just a follow up on the above: these sections are taken directly from the warrant issued to the DHS authorizing them to seize Mt. Gox's funds:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and this:

A copy of the full 7-page warrant can be downloaded here.

I knew I hadn't imagined it. ;) 8)

Renegade:
^ The US govt. stealing funds is a separate issue, though it did contribute to it. Mt. Gox is in Japan, and the DHS has no authority there and can't force Japanese courts to be their thugs. (Theoretically... ;) )

40hz:
The US govt. stealing funds is a separate issue, though it did contribute to it.
-Renegade (July 05, 2014, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Much like shooting someone in the head a dozen times is a separate issue even if it did, in some measure, contribute to that same someone's demise? Or cleaning out a store's entire inventory and padlocking the doors had some bearing on it going out of business?

While I'm sure there's some desire to save face over the whole Gox affaire, the simple fact is: the US government wanted Gox gone, found a legal argument to torpedo it - and lo and behold - it was gone! It's being in Japan didn't matter. Which raises an interesting question...why did they really want it gone, and why did Japan do zilch (in real terms) to intervene. Could it be that no government anywhere is very welcoming of crypto-currencies to begin with - unless it's to put a cramp in somebody else's monetary system or policy?

Mt. Gox is in Japan, and the DHS has no authority there and can't force Japanese courts to be their thugs. (Theoretically... ;) )
--- End quote ---

About all I can say to that is: In addition to politics there is something called realpolitik.

If I had to place a bet (even in Bitcoins) I'd be inclined to give odds on the second rather than the first. "Ultima ratio regum" as the old saying (and present reality) goes.
 ;)

Renegade:
Mt. Gox is in Japan, and the DHS has no authority there and can't force Japanese courts to be their thugs. (Theoretically... ;) )
--- End quote ---

About all I can say to that is: In addition to politics there is something called realpolitik.

If I had to place a bet (even in Bitcoins) I'd be inclined to give odds on the second rather than the first. "Ultima ratio regum" as the old saying (and present reality) goes.
 ;)
-40hz (July 05, 2014, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey! Get your own schtick! Resident conspiracy theorist is mine~! :P ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version