ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (9/200) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Rai stones, any one?
-ewemoa (October 08, 2012, 02:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

"In one instance, a rai being transported by canoe was accidentally dropped and sank to the sea floor. Although it was never seen again, everyone agreed that the rai must still be there, so it continued to be transacted as genuine currency.[4] What is important is that ownership of the rai is clear to everyone, not that the rai is physically transferred or even physically accessible to either party in the transfer."

TaoPhoenix:
Hoping this is on topic,

One of the most brilliant "small innovations" I ever saw was the 50+ (some exceptions apply) quarters for the US Quarter dollar. Brilliant. Govt makes an actual product that is "sold" (removed from circulation by collectors, both pro and amateur). They're rather pretty and it's a good year's worth of fun trying to finish the set (without going to ebay, just using register change.) PS That reminds me ... gimme a min to check...

Not counting people who are total experts in micro-millimeter observance, all the face sides are the same. (Let's even assume you get the 'mints' right, most of my spares are the Philly Mint not the Denver mint, so with a little work you could normalize those.) So theoretically, though it apparently never went viral, you could play "card games" with the coins. The Suits part is a little tough, but with a little work others still work. And if some twerp was counting "50 vs 52" I reply that there are now TWO Puerto Rico quarters, not on my standard collector board, but there they are.

Stoic Joker:
Rai stones, any one?
--- End quote ---

"In one instance, a rai being transported by canoe was accidentally dropped and sank to the sea floor. Although it was never seen again, everyone agreed that the rai must still be there, so it continued to be transacted as genuine currency.[4] What is important is that ownership of the rai is clear to everyone, not that the rai is physically transferred or even physically accessible to either party in the transfer."-TaoPhoenix (October 08, 2012, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

So was that the first Rai of Hope?

40hz:
Rai stones, any one?
--- End quote ---

"In one instance, a rai being transported by canoe was accidentally dropped and sank to the sea floor. Although it was never seen again, everyone agreed that the rai must still be there, so it continued to be transacted as genuine currency.[4] What is important is that ownership of the rai is clear to everyone, not that the rai is physically transferred or even physically accessible to either party in the transfer."
-TaoPhoenix (October 08, 2012, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Much like the assuredly present but unseen gold stored at Fort Knox?  ;)

So was that the first Rai of Hope?
-Stoic Joker (October 08, 2012, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good grief! (OK Chris - you can't let that one pass unchallenged. ;D )

Shades:
The previous link for Rai stones results in an error. This link will take you to the Wikipedia page

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version