ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (75/200) > >>

40hz:
Apologies to any offended. :-[

I only mentioned Microsoft's stock value appreciation to make the point that there are many mainstream investments that see incredible rates of return. It was intended to be in response to the arguments I'm seeing here (and in some other places I frequent that argue for the adoption of crypto currencies) that the only rational approach to making a profit is to go completely outside the established economic system.

:)

wraith808:
but how does this thread promote the principles of donationcoder.com?
-barney (November 06, 2013, 02:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

A good question.  What are the principles of donationcoder.com?  It seems to shift a bit- especially as different people chime in on it.

It always seemed to me that the focus was on software and software-based technology discussions, and to have a home for coders of all stripes and people that appreciate the software they make.

Bitcoin seems to fall into that.  As does the Snowden revelations.  As do a lot of things that formerly software enthusiasts had no real interest in on a software front.  But as that front changes, it seems in many cases many on DC don't want it to evolve to touch those things.  Which is sad, as all things evolve, and I think that more than anything else is the reason for stagnancy of visitors and stagnancy of the discussions.  Should those things be clearly labeled/tagged so that those that don't want to discuss such things might avoid them?  Sure.  There are some threads that I avoid, just because I'm not interested in the content from the title.  That might be judging a book by the cover, but it's true that people want to discuss different things as a part of the community, and that's ok.  And I think it needs to be ok.  At least in my opinion.  :two: :beerchug:

mouser:
Sorry if I wasn't clear!

I was *NOT* objecting to this thread or the discussion of bitcoin stuff in general, which i think is completely appropriate for this forum (though i do hope we get to the point soon where the topic doesn't make up a majority of the posts on any given day).

I was only objecting to the recent comments on investment advice and financial market prediction, and trying to nip that in the bud early.  I have a deep seated distaste for such things, and while members here may occasionally be in a position to offer advice about how to invest money to get rich quick, i don't want this forum to have any part in such games.

To repeat, I'm not objecting to this thread or discussion about bitcoin -- just asking people to steer far clear from talking market predictions and offering investment advice.

tomos:
I had written a long post, but after mouser's post it seems more off-topic here. I'm just wondering if there's another thread for the "off-topic topic" in general (what's appropriate/inappropriate to post about)?
If there's no suggestions of a previous thread, I could start a new one (or may just drop it...)

mouser:
We tend to have meta-discussions about the nature of the site here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=83.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version