ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Barebone server: what else do I need to complete it?

(1/9) > >>

superboyac:
I've been struggling with server lingo for several months now.  I've had many discussions with people and nobody seems to be able to clarify much for me.  Maybe I'm thickheaded.  Also, these discussions tend to turn into "Why the hell do you need something like this"...I'm just having a really hard time figuring out what I need.

So essentially, I want a server.  And I want to shove in 20 sata drives in there of varying sizes and makes.  I want to pool them in all sorts of flexible ways.  I don't want RAID because the drives are all different.  I have another thread about the drive pooling softwares I'm considering, specifically to address the hard drive issue.  I really like this Supermicro server:
http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-ssg-6047r-e1r24n~7SUP933V.htm?source=googleps

Now it says it's barebones.  What I really want to know is a list of additional parts I would need to plug this thing in and have it up and running.  So please help me with that.

It sounds to me like the hard drive slots are all there.  It also includes the xeon motherboard.  So is this what additional items I need to get?:
--RAM
--Xeon CPU

That's all I can see.  Sounds like everything else is already there like the network/ethernet switches and stuff.  And can I put any OS on there as I wish?

Currently, I have desktop computer connected to a standard wifi router and a modem.  All other laptops and tablets connect through the wifi router.  When I put the server in, I'd like the desktop directly connected to it through ethernet.  And everything else wifi.

So as it stands, this is what I need to purchase as separate items:
--supermicro super server
--xeon cpu
--some RAM

that's it?

eleman:
Yup, buy the server, add the cpu, mix with some ram, leave in the oven for 20 minutes, you're ready to go.

Though this server has 10 sata interfaces, you won't be able to cram in 20 sata drives.

superboyac:
Yup, buy the server, add the cpu, mix with some ram, leave in the oven for 20 minutes, you're ready to go.

Though this server has 10 sata interfaces, you won't be able to cram in 20 sata drives.
-eleman (September 27, 2012, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
yeah, I was confused by that also.  What would I need to do to be able to use all 24 drives (SATA)?

eleman:

--- End quote ---
yeah, I was confused by that also.  What would I need to do to be able to use all 24 drives (SATA)?
-superboyac (September 27, 2012, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are pci-x expansion cards which provide additional sata ports. But I can't figure out how many pci-x1 slots this server has.

superboyac:
I have this in my notes:
I would just run two SASLP cards and be done with it.  Tried and true, and it will probably end up being cheaper than using an expander anyway.  No bottlenecks either.
--- End quote ---

So to use all the drives, would I need two of these cards.  That would give me what they call 8x2=16 additional SAS slots, which I think means 16 more drives can plug into them.  So that gives me 16+(8+2)=26 drives, which covers all the slots.  Right?

questions:
Do I need to be concerned about the card's 3.0Gbps speed vs a few of my Sata3 drives which are 6.0Gpbs?
I can plug a PCIe card that is x4 into a slot that is x8 or x16, right?

--- End quote ---

(you were typing while I was responding)
-superboyac (September 27, 2012, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
There are pci-x expansion cards which provide additional sata ports. But I can't figure out how many pci-x1 slots this server has.
-eleman (September 27, 2012, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Looks like we're on the same page.  This server has:
4 (x16) PCI-E 3.0 slots
1 (x8) PCI-E 3.0 slot
1 (x4) PCI-E 3.0 (in x8) slot

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version