ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Barebone server: what else do I need to complete it?

<< < (9/9)

superboyac:
Well, iStardock has perhaps another model to consider:
http://www.istarusa.com/istarusa/product_speclist.php?series=HDDCage&sub=SATA/%20SAS

What interests me is the trayless design.  I know I won't be swapping out too much, but why not get the feature if it is easier?  This particular model is made of aluminum which is better than plastic for the Addonics.  Any opinions?

Link to in-depth review
Note: this review is for another similar model, but I don't know if it's the better model.  I think it may be the more updated model, but the picture above is the all metal model, which I probably prefer.

regarding noise:
On powering up, the noise from the fans in the top cage was very noticeable - not unpleasant, but definitely there.  Whereas I normally have to be within three feet of the machine in order to hear any noise, I can now hear it from 15 feet away.  Once a movie is playing, I doubt that I would be troubled by the noise but the perfectionist in me wants to eliminate it.
--- End quote ---

superboyac:
Here's what I have so far:
Tower:
Addonics RAID Tower XIII

* Only pure hard drive tower available in the US market from what I could tell.
* Need to find out if I can buy it WITHOUT their drive bays; just the towerBarebone server: what else do I need to complete it?
3-to-5 drive bay conversion:
iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS

* Only all-metal option out there.
* 80mm fan vs. 60mm fan for cheaper alternatives.  However, one (plastic) model from SuperMicro supposedly has 90mm that are extremely easy to replace.  Still, I think I prefer all-metal construction over a slightly larger fan.Barebone server: what else do I need to complete it?
Still need to choose:

* SAS/SATA expander cards
* Operating system (decide on this first because it affects everything else you use)
* RAM sufficient for whatever you plan on doing (rule of thumb: as much as you can afford/will fit)
* CPU - 64bit. Period. Speed and cores (or dual-CPUs) dependent on what it's for plus what OS you've selected.
* Power Supply - calc power requirements based on what's going in box and add about +20% over.
* DVD drive - to load OS and software. Cheap or recycled is ok here.
* Additional Cooling - the more in the box, the more air you'll need to move to keep everything happy. (Don't skip this.)
* NIC - two quality Gb-speed NICs minimum. Ideally with wake-on-lan features.
* Mobo - mostly determined by CPU selected. Get a server mobo - not one designed for desktops
* Backup power unit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version