ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Barebone server: what else do I need to complete it?

<< < (2/9) > >>

superboyac:
Looks like another issue is whether these SAS expander cards can handle 3TB and 4TB drives, which I have several of.  There are contradictory comments on newegg:
Dropped this in a new unRAID box and it worked right off. 5 2TB drives and one 4TB drive showed up without any issue.
The card came with the new firmware (.21) and was perfectly fine with my 4TB drive, have it mounted and in the array right now.
--- End quote ---

Comments were somewhat deceptive. the SAS2 version (SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8) of this card can handle 3TB drives. That is not the card you are buying though. The drivers that are mentioned in the comments are for the SAS2 card, not this SAS1 card. If you intend to use 3TB drives look elsewhere.
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
You don't need to worry about interface speed - harddrives are no near even 3gbps speeds (that's 300MB/s throughput), only high-end SSDs surpass that.

TaoPhoenix:
Looks like another issue is whether these SAS expander cards can handle 3TB and 4TB drives, which I have several of.  
-superboyac (September 27, 2012, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's a lot of storage!  :o
And I was happy with my humble 1.75 TB from six years ago.

40hz:
Take a look at how Backblaze has configured their 67-Tb servers to economically handle 45 drives. Article here which includes detailed parts list.

I'm not sure what "barebones" means since I've seen it applied to everything from a case+mobo+PS combo all the way up to a machine that just needed RAM, a HD, and an OS. So based on the list below, you'll need to get whatever isn't included in the barebones configuration you're buying.

What you need for any server is:

* Operating system (decide on this first because it affects everything else you use)
* RAM sufficient for whatever you plan on doing (rule of thumb: as much as you can afford/will fit)
* CPU - 64bit. Period. Speed and cores (or dual-CPUs) dependent on what it's for plus what OS you've selected.
* Power Supply - calc power requirements based on what's going in box and add about +20% over.
* Disk Drives - SATA. Period. (add expansion controller cards as needed - and watch power consumption!)
* DVD drive - to load OS and software. Cheap or recycled is ok here.
* Additional Cooling - the more in the box, the more air you'll need to move to keep everything happy. (Don't skip this.)
* NIC - two quality Gb-speed NICs minimum. Ideally with wake-on-lan features.
* Mobo - mostly determined by CPU selected. Get a server mobo - not one designed for desktops
* Case - determined by space/cooling requirements for all of above. (You can get really creative with this so think outside "the box.")
Next comes compatibility issues. You'll need to positively confirm the more esoteric elements in your configuration (expansion cards, BIOS, chipset, etc.) can all work with each other. So you'll need to check various manufacturer's hardware compatibility info and rework your spec as needed. That's one reason why having a vetted spec like the Backblaze server comes in so handy. They've already done the legwork and identified a "known good" configuration. (But it may not be well suited for what you have in mind.)

Configuring a server is an iterative process. You really can't say it's a go until you've successfully spec'ed all the components. It usually takes a few passes to get everything right.

re: Supermicro E5-2600 Series

I like Supermicro products. Unless they've changed things, barebones for them means the case plus whatever is soldered on the motherboard. So you'd need: CPU(s), RAM, disk drives, additional fans, power supply (and/or secondary PS), plus an OS.

Note: rackmount servers are heavy, noisy (as in 747 takeoff noisy) and run hot. So think about where you're gonna put it. Server rooms are usually soundproofed, and almost always have their own separate air conditioning, for a reason. :tellme:

superboyac:
Thanks 40, I was hoping to get your input.  I was so impressed by that backblaze project.  I'm really glad they've went out of their way to explain how they put everything together, I'll study it this weekend and try to mimic it on a smaller scale.

Until I move, I'm not sure what to do about the noise and heat.  I have a couple of spare rooms, but not the ability to cool them in a special way.  Would one Supermicro box really be all that loud and hot?  I have 6 drives connected to my desktop right now, and it's not that bad, and i don't think they get too hot.  I'd like to visit one in person to see really how bad it is.  I *may* be able to get away with a NY-style window mounted cooling unit in my complex, but I doubt it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version